Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everybody like a little carnage so long as its not theres.... So here ya go :flipoff2:

I was pulling into a friends driveway and gave it a little too much throttle and clutch action and BOOM. The driveshaft hit the pavement with the pinion gear and gear oil dumped all over. Guess the factory 9 couldnt hold my 4.6L stroker motor and 35s :D After cleaning up the oil, and checking the damage, the 3rd is obviously toast as well as the ring gear had a tooth missing. Pinion looks fine.

So Question for the 9" guys... I currently have 31 spline alloy shafts and dont really want to give them up just yet. Can the Strange case with the 3.25" carrier bearings hold a 31 spline spool? Money is tight for me right now and I would like to get a Strange case with the bigger carrier bearings so I can upgrade to 35 spline in the future when I have money. I just dont want to upgrade the third for the 31 spline shafts only to get rid of the 3rd when I go to 35 splines.

AARON

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, looks like possibly an axle wrap issue.
Nope...

I think it was too much motor :D I always had the fear that this would happen, just not with 35s on the street. I kinda would have expected it to happen offroad with the case in low low crawling in the rocks or bouncing up a ledge on the throttle. I thought I could get by with the stock case for a year or so until I could save up funds to get a Strange case.

AARON

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
why dont you just weld a carrier together for the strange case??? cheap.
I have a 31 spline spool I got for $100 and want to keep the shafts since I cant afford to go to 35 spline shafts. I just didnt know if the Strange case with the bigger 3.25" bearings can take the smaller 31 spline size bearings. I guess I could just call em up and ask...

AARON

·
Vendor
11,815 Posts
It should... You'll just need to match up the OD with the race and the carrier journal with the ID of the bearing.... IE they come in sets, just make sure you get the correct set for a 3.25 case and 1.875 (or whatever) journal...

·
Vendor
11,815 Posts
Oh and also, it's no the HP that killed that pig, it's the torque and chances are it was already dead before you dumped the clutch in your buddies driveway... :smokin:

It was also probably a WAR case, which also have been known to bust at the pinion support just like yours did.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just throw another stocker back in there, thats a weird break. I dont think that should have happened. I beat my 9 pretty hard with 35s and have never had a problem. But then again stock engine though.

·
Vendor
11,815 Posts
Just throw another stocker back in there, thats a weird break. I dont think that should have happened. I beat my 9 pretty hard with 35s and have never had a problem. But then again stock engine though.
x2... Can't argue that ;) Especially how cheap and plentiful they are in yards....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont want to put a stock case back in because I cant afford to throw ring and pinions in this thing everytime a case breaks. Fix the case with a Strange means I am DONE. Got your PM wane. Its going to be a month before I am back in town as I am currently out abroad working. Good to know that they make the big bearing for the smaller 31 spline journal. I have seen this break before but it was always with a bigger motor and tire size. Guess I am just special :D

AARON

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
That is exactly why mine has a hi9 in it now. Smashing it on rocks doesn't help the longevity of a LP 9. If you price it out (nodular housing, gears, etc...) and add the fact that your drive shaft will no longer be taking so much punishment (rear DS would have to be rebuilt or replaced every four or five trips for me).

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Mine is the large bearing with 31 spline spool. Nodular case. Not a strange. Your's is the War case known for its weakness.

·
Vendor
11,815 Posts
Your's is the War case known for its weakness.
Exactly. I think it's the WAR case, which like I said before is known for this exact break. Get a new one out of a yard, just avoid the WAR/WAA/WAB cases!

If it has a fill plug and not a N, pull it and check the casting numbers inside. Most WAR cases will not have a fill plug. Some N cases will only have the N on the inside. Most N cases will have 2 vertical and 3 horizontal ribs and a fill plug.

The single rib cases are more prevalent and even very desirable. It has three horizontal and one vertical rib (like yours). Most have the smaller OD bearing in them, but some have the larger ones.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Exactly. I think it's the WAR case, which like I said before is known for this exact break. Get a new one out of a yard, just avoid the WAR/WAA/WAB cases!

If it has a fill plug and not a N, pull it and check the casting numbers inside. Most WAR cases will not have a fill plug. Some N cases will only have the N on the inside. Most N cases will have 2 vertical and 3 horizontal ribs and a fill plug.

The single rib cases are more prevalent and even very desirable. It has three horizontal and one vertical rib (like yours). Most have the smaller OD bearing in them, but some have the larger ones.
Here is mine I circled the N but hard to see. I usually don't was my diff.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
The cool thing about a 9 is that it can grow with you. Several buggy guys have dropped the 14 bolt or 70 to go with a built 9. Looks like you have a good housing, get a good pig and you are ready to roll.

Bang for the buck... a 14 bolt is extremely tough to overlook. I could sell my hi9 and build three 14 bolts! I could keep my hi9 and still have no worries about breaking anything. (running 36" iroks). If/when I decide to go bigger I will have a tough decision to make. Upgrading my 9 will cost as much or more than building a 14 bolt.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The cool thing about a 9 is that it can grow with you. Several buggy guys have dropped the 14 bolt or 70 to go with a built 9. Looks like you have a good housing, get a good pig and you are ready to roll.

Bang for the buck... a 14 bolt is extremely tough to overlook. I could sell my hi9 and build three 14 bolts! I could keep my hi9 and still have no worries about breaking anything. (running 36" iroks). If/when I decide to go bigger I will have a tough decision to make. Upgrading my 9 will cost as much or more than building a 14 bolt.
i really like the 9,s for alot of reasons but i just cant justify building one over a 14 bolt.with running a 39 inch tire currently and planning on stepping up to a 42 next, the 14 bolt is the only choice for me.:smokin:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The third that I blew up was a big bearing 3.062" war case. I know for a fact it wasnt a factory N case as there was not an N anywhere on it. I got the axle practically for free and narrowed and trussed it for my MJ. I got a cheap set of gears and installed them in the war case because I couldnt at the time afford an aftermarket case like the Strange. Before it blew, I had $500 total in it including purchase price, brakes, bearings, narrowing, 31 spline alloys and trussing. I figured the war case would hold my motor and tire size for a year or so until I could afford to get a Strange case. Plus when the time comes for a shaft upgrade, I can toss in a set of 35 spline alloys in my housing and be good to go.

So next question... Would a factory N case hold up in my rig? Or should I get the Strange case?

I refuse to get a 14b cause they are big heavy ass pigs and I dont need to be plowing any fields with my 35s:flipoff2:

AARON

1 - 20 of 34 Posts