Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I've read the 2 posts on boaring the spindles. As of now I have the axle apart and I'm looking at the spindles. They look small, 2" Dia the full length. Not stepped like front D60 Spindles.

So if I go ahead and open up the ID of the spindles to 1.55 (A couple thou bigger than the splines major Dia) all I am left with is a wall thickness of .225.

Now the question... are the spindles going to be strong enough for a Full Size Pickup with 38's and weighing in around 7000lbs?

I know I know... Get a 14Bolt. I'd really rather not if I don't have to. I'd rather have the 2" of ground clearance. And I'm not going to get into shaving the 14bolt down. And I already have everything I need to build the 60. And I will not be cutting the spindles off due to the fact that not one shop in my area dose axle work anymore.

So Is it going to be strong enough???

Thanks alot!

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK i guess I should have mentioned that I will not be cutting them off due to the fact that not one shop in my area dose axle work anymore. They all said " Call Currie... ect. everyone just gets them new"

· Registered
92 Posts
randy's ring and pinion sells a tool for boring them
it cost about 400 bucks but if you are good you can buy a 1 9/16" drill bit
good luck its a bitch use plenty of lube

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the morning crew. Is it strong enough?

· Registered
424 Posts
You mentioned the spindle looks small!!! Is the axle out of a ford cube van??? IS the inner and outer bearing the same one?? If so I would reccomend a different D60 those are a lightweight D60 with very small spindles. If you bore them out you will take a chance of snapping them.

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KILLER"B"3 said:
You mentioned the spindle looks small!!! Is the axle out of a ford cube van??? IS the inner and outer bearing the same one?? If so I would reccomend a different D60 those are a lightweight D60 with very small spindles. If you bore them out you will take a chance of snapping them.

The axle is out of a 79' Ford F350. I cut it out myself. The inner and outer bearings are the same size. The spindle is 2" from the threads to the seal surface which is around 3".

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It looks like all I have to remove is .070. That should allow the splines to slip past. The shaft is a few thou smaller than the splines so I should have enough room for oil flow.

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone running what I have here in a full size pickup?

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CrazyHorse said:
the ford dana 70's in the F350's have the same bearings, IE the spindle OD is the same as the 60, but the ID is 1.7" for the 35 spline shafts.
Is the spindle stepped or is it 2" OD the whole length?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.