Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bobbed my truck this weekend. I still have some bondo work to do. We did the work at a friends house and a guy brought over a sweet little 1985 Toyota Pickup RC car that we played with too.

Here are the pics:

http://www.r65.org/tacoma/bedbob/

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
Sweet job on the bed, and thats a 79-83 RC yota not an 85. :D :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a little scary after we made the cuts, but is came together. One guy on the TTORA board said he can completly bob a bed, bondo and prime it in 6 hours. After this weekend I do not know how they did that. Our big problem was we were using a MIG unit with flux core and it made it real hard to weld that thin sheet metal.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
lsloth said:
a guy brought over a sweet little 1985 Toyota Pickup RC car that we played with too.
That RC Yota looks awesome, did the guy build that himself, or is it a kit? Is it 4-wheel drive? Does that front axle work? How bout the susp, is it really leafs? That is some hardcore RCRC. remote controlled rock crawling . I love it. :D

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Bobbed the Tacoma

SamuraiChris said:

That RC Yota looks awesome, did the guy build that himself, or is it a kit? Is it 4-wheel drive? Does that front axle work? How bout the susp, is it really leafs? That is some hardcore RCRC. remote controlled rock crawling . I love it. :D
The guy picked it up on ebay and and completly rebuilt it. It does use leaf springs and does have solid axles, it even has a transfer case that controlled from the remote. I think he said it cost it about 500 bucks.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only main thing left is to work out the bumper. It no longer mounts on, we ended up cutting about 5" off the frame. Ched thinks I need to sell my bumper and build a new one, but I love my bumper so I am going to play around this week trying to find a new way for it to mount back up then build some side for it to cover the bottom back parts we cut off.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Re: Re: Bobbed the Tacoma

SamuraiChris said:

Tamiya is the company that made the RC that's in the pics... They no longer make it. Actual body year is '79, leafs, 2wd-4wd, high and low range...3 speed gear box too. First came out in early '80s as Bruiser, then later in early '90s as something else...It's a good copy of the '79 Toy 4x4. When they were more plentiful in the RC market people used to(probably still do) as a puller in RC truck pulling events.

I have a recent retro look back at it from a mag, I'll post it up for those intrested. If you can find one in good shape plan to spend as much as a real '79-'83 Toy....I've seen prices as high as $2000 for one in like new condition. Prices when new around '88 were about $500-700 depending on radio selection and or what you'd buy with it.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
how much did you end up bobbing? it look like around the 12-18" range?

·
Registered
426 Posts
mobil1syn said:
how much did you end up bobbing? it look like around the 12-18" range?
13". We measure 12.5" but by the time we ground and got it to mate up , it was 13" (that was the plan)

We'll be doin' mine in a few weeks and I'll be going for a 12.5" bob.

Now that we got one under our belt, it should go a bit easier.

Using FC wire really sukt and made for a lengthy welding times! Wish I had some $$ for a bottle but I keep spending my extra $$ on mods and steel. I gotta stop that and GET A BOTTLE!

:smokin:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TNToy said:
This things still IFS, right? I hope you still have the palsma cutter out. :p

Almost done with getting all the parts for the SAS I should start cutting in about a month.

·
Registered
426 Posts
lsloth said:

Yup, I think its Miller 135, we used .30 flux core wire.

Yah, it's a Millermatic 135 and the plasma cutter is a Thermal Dynamics Packmaster 25. It's an older model. The newer one is a Packmaster 35 but it cuts 1/4" if you go slow so it's good enough for me. :smokin:

Can't wait to do mine!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hoodlum said:

Yah, it's a Millermatic 135 and the plasma cutter is a Thermal Dynamics Packmaster 25. It's an older model. The newer one is a Packmaster 35 but it cuts 1/4" if you go slow so it's good enough for me. :smokin:

Can't wait to do mine!!!
I see you made it over to the board. When you going to SAS yours. I bet if james goes good then you will do it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts