Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had trouble sourcing reliable information about this. When lifting the RRC with stiffer shocks/springs is it wise to remove the Boge self levelling strut? I know mine is no longer functioning (as I assume most do not) so what are the options here? Can the Boge be replaced or is that not really needed? I do tow a trailer that weighs close to 5k lbs. Thanks for any input in advance!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
jtt220 said:
I have had trouble sourcing reliable information about this. When lifting the RRC with stiffer shocks/springs is it wise to remove the Boge self levelling strut? I know mine is no longer functioning (as I assume most do not) so what are the options here? Can the Boge be replaced or is that not really needed? I do tow a trailer that weighs close to 5k lbs. Thanks for any input in advance!
If you use stiffer springs to replace it, then the increasesed rear roll stiffness will cause oversteer. It can be fun, scary or dangerous depending on when it happens and how unexpected it is.

If you increase the front roll stiffness as well, then it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the dynamics involved when an increase in damper stiffness is acheived but that is not really the question.

It is my understanding that the Boge unit acts as a leveller to allow softer dampers in the rear, thus allowing greater articulation while maintaining the ability to carry cargo and to tow. Going with stiffer dampers will allow increased ability to carry cargo and to tow, but does it make up for the boge unit being removed, and if so at one point is this acheived (meaning how stiff must the dampers be).

Basically I am asking what others have done. I know most of you have upgraded your suspensions so my queston is: what did you do about the Boge strut; nothing, remove it, or replace it with a functioning one and why?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Removed them x2

T

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just left mine in after I installed the lift because I just never got around to taking it out even though it's been a few years. Doesn't seem to interfer with articulation and the few times I have towed an overloaded trailer I think it even helped.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Remove the Boge. It's effectiveness with HD springs would be minimal anyway. While you''re there check the upper A arm bushings and ball joint.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
FWIW I have left mine in, but I tend to vary the amount I carry in my trucks and prefer softer rear SPRINGS [not dampers]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some folks have replaced it with a Renault spring (I believe an R5). I like the idea of having the arm/boge attached to the center of the diff....

·
Registered
61 Posts
There was a thread onm this on Outerlimits- I think someone there made an extender of some sort for his. Other than that the concensus there was to pitch it if you went over 2" in lift. Search there and you'll likely turn up the thread.
Matt Nelson

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
lwg said:
Mine has been gone for over 6 years now. I can't say that it's caused me any problems. But I did gain an extra 1/10 of a second on my 0-60 times with the decrease in weight...
Ive heard the Atkins diet is good for the same reasons.

:flipoff2:

-Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts