Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

To those that use boggers in woods / mud / general terrain (not rock crawling), what are they like on a side slope? Does the truck slide when on serious off camber?

I'm comparing them to simex centepedes which are treated pretty much as the muts nuts over this side of the pond. Looking at boggers, I guess they are better in a straight line, but I'm wondering about off canmber situations.

I'd be looking at a 35" to 37" size.

Ta!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have never run them but i have always heard they would slide. Mabe with some siping it could be prevented tho???

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
LUVMYTJ said:
I have never run them but i have always heard they would slide. Mabe with some siping it could be prevented tho???
I run 44 bogs in exactly that type of terrain.

I wouldn't give up the extra 100% forward for the 5% less sidehill traction.

With that said, I have NEVER, not once had a side slope issue with the boggers. However, I have seen people who run street (20-25 psi) have minor issues.

I run 2-4 lbs offroad. If you have any concerns, they are very easy to sipe a few lines in.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I ran boggers for 2 years here in TN, and not once did I ever have a side-hill problem. I LOVED my boggers... just wish they made a 42 :(

·
Registered
893 Posts
ran 35" boggers in moab, as well as round here. (midwest).

with WELDED rear end, the ass end tended to want to move down slope on wet side hills, but it wasnt too terrible. once you got used to it, you didnt even notice it.

my boggers were uncut, stock, and the wide ones (16.5"wide?)

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
ChrisPy said:
ran 35" boggers in moab, as well as round here. (midwest).

with WELDED rear end, the ass end tended to want to move down slope on wet side hills, but it wasnt too terrible. once you got used to it, you didnt even notice it.
Had nothing to do with the boggers - I ran a rear ARB for 5 years with Mud Kings, Wildcat M/T's, Buckshot Mudders, TSL Radials, and Boggers - all did the same thing with a spooled rear end :p

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
DRM said:

Had nothing to do with the boggers - I ran a rear ARB for 5 years with Mud Kings, Wildcat M/T's, Buckshot Mudders, TSL Radials, and Boggers - all did the same thing with a spooled rear end :p
I concur. Don't blame the boggers with a spooled or welded rear.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have run both Boggers and Tsls with no changes in vehicle. The only difference I ever noticed was that the Tsl might have a slight advantage <1% on wet rocks. Go for the Boggers. I have broke more axles with boggers than tsl so that means they get better traction right.:)

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Make sure you cut the little lugs out of the rear tires, or all four if the front end is up to it. A simex equipped rig won't be able to TOUCH you on when the trail is wet with regualr boggers... cut ones are nuts. A cut bogger is EXTREMELY tough to pack full of mud, so that it looks like a drag radial. I can't say the same of TSLs or SXs.

Boggers LOOOVE wheelspin, by the way. The more right pedal you are willing to use, the better they work. :)

The terrain you mentioned (muddy woods) is exactly what we have around here. The Bogger works the best. Period. Simex's tires run narrow, and the width alone makes a huge difference. You can spin the tires a lot more to keep the tread clean, without being caught in a situation where you're digging down more than forward. :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Up here in the snot slick mtns. of the PNW, watching the bogger guys slide sideways down fall line makes fer good entertainment:D Spooled,Detroit or turned off ARB, on off camber mud or snow they slide like a bitch,period.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
boggers

I run 38.5 on 7 inch wheels and love them. They slide a little when you have street psi. I had a blazer with 35 15.50 sx and I got a good deal an some 35 16.00 boggers so I was swiching tires back and forth and not much side diffents. The best set up was sx in the front and boggers in the back and it made the truck look bad ass :)

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
side hill fix

I would not trade my cut boggers for any other tire. Period.

Do you want to know how to fix the sidehill sliding problem???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Get 4 wheel steer:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Dan

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
IMO boggers are the best all-around off road tire-no, I take that back- BFG krawlers are, But cut boggers are a close second. at least when comparing 37's, and not counting durability. I haven't put my krawlers through as much abuse as the boggers to compare durability (boggers are the definition of durability). I've wheeled with friends with tsl's, mtr's, pro comps, bfg muds, m/t's, ssr's- in snow, mud and dirt they don't seem to have any sidehilling disadvantage- only on big smooth rocks do they slip sideways easier than other tires. And as was said before, the superior forward traction in the soft stuff more than makes up for any sideways misbehaving in the rocks.

BTW, they're 38.5 x 11 x 16 and measured 37 1/2" new w/ no load. Krawlers measure 37.0"

·
Registered
636 Posts
i have seen some guys whith boggers slide down sideways. For the most part if you air down a bogger equiped truck is hard to stop.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The only time I have had my boggers slip sideways on me was before I grooved them. - Breaking trail into Mt. Blanca on June 10th, bustin through some big sidehill drifts- but then again, seems like I'm always breaking trail:rolleyes:what does that tell you :p
After we grooved the tires, they acually seemed to have the sidehilling advantage over the other tires in the snow and mud.
Usually run 8-9 lbs in them in the woods.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
So would just a couple grooves in each lug be sufficiant,and what sipe pattern has evolved above the rest as being the best way to do it? Picts?

Lee

1 - 20 of 43 Posts