Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kid has a 84 SR5, 22r, His battery went dead and had a friend help him jump it....it exploded after the truck was running a few seconds....oh did i mention it was smoking before they jumped it....well he finally called me and i decided to buy a new optima red for the truck... that seemed to do the trick....the next day...he smelled smoke and pulled over...the brand new Optima was smoking and hot as hell. Any ideas on what might be happening???? I am going to pull the alternator and get it bench tested tomorrow....Do you think the new battery is a gonner since whatever is going on made it smoke????

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Optimas are sensitive, but not fragile. Still, since you have safety issues, have a prof batt shop experienced with Optimas check it. Cheap, if not free, since they expect to sell a new batt if the one you bring them is bad. Either way, you'll eliminate the batt as a cause.

Oh, and jumping can cause the recipient batt to heat up and eventually melt its terminals or even explode, but usually after extensive cranking. On serviceable systems, a short jump start shouldn't cause an explosion unless maybe the batts were mismatched size. For your safety, I must say I'm no battery/charging system expert. :D

Walt<><

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Might have hooked it up backwards for the jump and fried the voltage reulator now it is overcharging? Sort of a WAG

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
yep, sounds like its overchanging, over 14.5ish......not good

bet it had nothingi to do with the jump, it had been overchanging already, then it killed the batt, jumped it........made it mad.......blew up. New batt OK for day....till it hit 16+ volts and went up in smoke.

So check the alt and the reg(if seperate), bets its putting out about 16volts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts