Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured you guys have the answers to life's questions, how about the answer to bolt brands.

Have a local Fastenal but have had a little quality control problems here and there with them but they are convenient. Lately had a Kimball Midwest guy start stopping by and of course his bolts are obviously superior, granted at least they are domestically made. Searching around on the ol internet is providing tons of KM reviews, but a few. Anyone have any suggestions for a good quality bolt? Have often heard Caterpillar is really good and KM said theirs are on par with CAT.

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
Are you looking to buy in bulk? Hard bolts, soft bolts? My first thought is any supplier that can give you mill certs with the hardware is probably providing a better product.

·
Registered
28,137 Posts
Are you looking to buy in bulk? Hard bolts, soft bolts? My first thought is any supplier that can give you mill certs with the hardware is probably providing a better product.
It doesn't reflect in the quality of the supplier only the product. By his own account some of Fastenal's bolts have gone to crap. However, some can be bought with certs. They have good product and also that would not pass testing. Go with certed hardware if you want quality.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It doesn't reflect in the quality of the supplier only the product. By his own account some of Fastenal's bolts have gone to crap. However, some can be bought with certs. They have good product and also that would not pass testing. Go with certed hardware if you want quality.
X2 We use a lot of bolts to hold in tooling for thermoformers. We switched to domestic suppliers for critical parts because foreign bolts weren't holding up. We spec everything ASTM A574 Socket head cap screws and we'll go boxes of foreign bolts before we even go through a box of domestic. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
What kind of issues are you having with your hardware?

If you're having issues with hex bolts specify on your next order that you would like domestic grade 5 or grade 8 hardware. Domestic bolts will have a head marking of "n" for nucor of "LE" for lake erie. There are other domestic manufactures but those two are the most common.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
CAT is what I use alot of. Got a catalog of hardware from them that has most of what they carry. If it's not in stock they have it next day typically.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
AVE tested bolts on his channel. The Chinesium bolts were as strong or stronger than the US made bolts due to slightly larger diameter. :laughing:

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think if CAT were closer that would be easy but they are 90 miles away in Billings so if mail order is it, would like to find someone like KM, Lawson, etc vs Fasten-none locally.

Get a One Safe Source catalog from them and order your hardware shipped to the nearest drop box. My bet is its allot closer than 90 miles.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
As far as vendors go for hardware. Tifco, kimball midwest, and Hi-Line are the typical. There are large companies out there like oshkosh and pierce that are moving away from fastenal for using critical hardware.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
We use IBS at work, they're bolts, never had an issue. My hardware at home I buy from Mcmaster Carr a box at a time.

·
Antisocial
3,977 Posts
As far as vendors go for hardware. Tifco, kimball midwest, and Hi-Line are the typical. There are large companies out there like oshkosh and pierce that are moving away from fastenal for using critical hardware.
And so many companies end up doing that.

Fastenal: Let's increase profit margins by using cheaper, lower quality hardware.

Consumer: Fastenal quality is hit or miss, and is generally shit. Let's try a different vendor/brand.

Fastenal: … :homer:

That's how I see it in my head anyway. :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts