Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size of the bolt that passes though the outrigger on the frame and the bottom of the bulkhead just below the leading edge of the door?

I snapped the bolt getting ready to install my sliders.

If I remove that bolt completely, am I going to have a tough time lining up the holes to put the new one in or should everything stay where it is?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Welcome newby! :flipoff2::flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Ok, as for the bolt, if you really think you need to order one from Rovers North or the dealer then you deserve to pay the prices (apologies to Ron). Call George at RDS and let him swear at you if you really want to buy the 'proper' bolt from a parts supplier.

If you are the least bit resourceful you might be able to find a hardware store that sells bolts. If you find one you'll need to tell them a few things about the bolt you want to buy (remember, you might want to buy 2 and replace both).

Take your RULER (that stick with the funny marks on it) and put it up next to the bolt. The end of the bolt should be near the end of the ruler. Where the bolt ends will be how long it is (you could put a mark there if you can't remember how long it is).

The diameter of the bolt could be measured in a similiar fashion.

If you don't like me sounding like a smart ass, well, I can measure the ones on my truck and give it to you tomorrow. I'm too damn lazy to get out there right now.

IMO, you should use a grade 8 or higher (10.5 metric). I used grade 9 on mine because I couldn't find a grade 8 bolt that was long enough.

To replace the bolt you're taking out you might need to pound it out with the bolt you're pounding in. Hopefully it doesn't bugger up the threads too much. It will move around a bit, so you might want to support it with a jack or something.

Start soaking that bolt in WD-40 now. It's probably gonna be a biatch to get out.

Good luck!

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Mike,

Its 1/2"x7" fine thread grade 5 and even the bolt place near me did not have one. 1/2"x6" and 1/2x8" yes, but 1/2"x7" no which I why I suggested ordering the "correct" bolt.

Ron

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Ron,

Didn't mean to bag on you. Just seemed funny to not be able to figure out which bolt to get.

I feel your pain though, which is why I got a grade 9 bolt. Ended up being about an inch too long, but was fine when we decided to mount some other stuff to that bolt too. Any grade 8 or grade 5 bolt was too short.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Michael.

Normally I am with you on the aftermarket bolts but sometimes rover just picks an odd size and if you want it to be right you need to go genuine.

Ron

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the welcome, and I don't mind you sounding like a smart ass, because I must sound like a dumb ass. :D

And I did go out there earlier with one of those ruler-things and figured the bolt was about 7.5 inches long and about .5 an inch thick, but I think it is a metric bolt and is actually 12 mm thick. But I might be wrong. (That's been happening to me a lot lately.) I actually went to the hardware stores in the area, and they had nothing long enough that was metric.

Since tomorrow morning is going to be spent calling around trying to find the right size bolt, I thought I would ask if anyone knows the exact size of the bolt to keep myself from sounding like more of a dumb ass on the phone. I also think that if it is indeed metric I would want to replace it with same size bolt rather than a similiarly sized standard bolt that would not fit snugly and create some slop.

Thank you for your input on the about the grade 8 or better and about jacking it up to support it. That is helpful.

But I have expended way too much energy typing about my dumb ass question about a bolt size, so on to more important questions.

How do I convert my truck into a ice cream truck like yours?:D

Chris

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
cbkearney said:
On to more important questions.

How do I convert my truck into a ice cream truck like yours?:D

Chris
You fawker! :flipoff2:

Well...to start off with you have to have waaaaayyyy too much spare time, a little spare change and a crazy idea.

No matter what look you're going for someone's gonna call it an ice-cream truck. :flipoff2:

Don't let us scare you off. We need some fresh meat! :D

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Keep buttering me up, maybe you'll get a dipped cone! Hehe.

Don't be jealous of the ice cream truck. I built it to share! :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
The stock bolt is a 12mm. I took a long drill bit and slightly opened up the hole to 1/2" and put the 8" grade 8 bolt in. It's a little longer than it needs to be but it was the best solution.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Metric

Landrover is largely metric. All bolts I've found in the chassis are metric. You find some exceptions in small sub assemblies they source from suppliers, like in the treads in the steering wheel you use to remove it, and seat belt fixings that are regulated by law.

Which doesn't mean you can't ream the hole in the bulkhead with a drill if metric bolts are hard to find.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You may want to ask around in your area if there is a good bolt supplier.

We have two here - Austin Bolt Co. and American Bolt Co. - I've walked in several times with handfuls of bolts and said "give me eight". I can walk in with a snapped bolt and tell them how long it was, and they match it.

If they don't have the size you need on-hand (unlikely, given that they supply all sorts of various places), they will custom order bolts for you. But, be warned, those may cost like $2 instead of $.31.

Also, in a pinch, Lowe's is a pretty decent source for G8 and Metric 8.8 hardware. And they are open nights and weekends. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts