Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I got into machining, I about all of the cool stuff I could make-fix-modify......

I have found out that, for me, about 85 percent of the projects I have done required welding.
In '97 I bought a mig. With practice and lots of advice from coworkers, I can now lay a decent bead. But my problem is that I don't weld often enough to be good at the start. I've got to warm up on some scrap first to get everything set.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well i want a lathe now too that i know how to use it. but wait till you learn how to use a mill and then you'll want one of those too. The price of a good used lathe is nothing compared a bad used mill. A bridgeport mill in bad shape is about $12000. Unless you get lucky. :( I will buy a lathe someday but i really want a mill to go with it. but dont think that price is going to do it for me.

·
Registered
704 Posts
OOP'S said:

I am taking one at Sierra College right now. Now all I have to do is talk T into letting me buy a lathe. It is getting easier to get her to let me buy stuff, look what I got yesterday!!!!! It needs some flames!!!!:D
Where and how much? I need to buy one before Moab:cool:

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
i took the community college course for stick, it actually helped a lot on the quality of the weld, the look of it is all about practice...time to go throw down some pretty MIG welds so i can back up my big mouth, i hate it when i post after a few beers, then wake up the next morning and find my stupidity documented...:flipoff2: :D

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemmingway

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Priest said:

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemmingway
classic quote from the most famous drunk:"D

·
Registered
670 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
show us how ugly you can do it! ive got some shit on my exo that has proven worthy but looks like bird turds, post some pix of your ugliest welds that actually held up...i bet i can weld uglier than anyone and prettier than 95% of you:flipoff2:, ill post pix in the morning...props to anyone who can put together a rock crawler with an old craftsman 220v arc welder:D ive been MIG welding for about a week and gettin cocky:D
does welding with e-cliff's alternater set-up or with batteries count? :D ;)

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
no more batteries for me, we covered a handfull of guys with battery acid :nuke: fixin a steering arm last year, it didnt get in anyones eyes thank GOD and the booger welds held:D:D ive learned a lot from wheelin with you last year and the value of a helpin hand:D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Re: Re: booger welds!

stainless steal dave said:
does welding with e-cliff's alternater set-up or with batteries count? :D ;)
whats wrong with baterys.. other than not thinking and having 3 hooked up while trying to exhaust work :rolleyes: no... realy :confused: lol...

if it makes ya feal any better you can allways brake that old stick out , set it way to low and mke a few passes over the top of your purty mig welds.. lol:flipoff2:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Re: Re: Re: booger welds!

T1H5_TA3 said:

whats wrong with baterys.. other than not thinking and having 3 hooked up while trying to exhaust work :rolleyes: no... realy :confused: lol...

if it makes ya feal any better you can allways brake that old stick out , set it way to low and mke a few passes over the top of your purty mig welds.. lol:flipoff2:
there is nothing wrong with battery welding- i started welding up broken rigs on rubicon in 1977 with them-broken frames,spindles,leaf springs drive shafts, knuckles, early style steering arms on m.b. jeeps etc. carnage is nothing new. it is dangerous you have to take certain precations when doing it. i have welded approx. 100 vehicles in 25 years using batteries- i prefer using alternator's now but in the 70's and 80's i did a lot of it not as many people had onboard welders. i also made a lot of friends and drank lot's of free beer welding up broken vehicles for people;)

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Re: Re: Re: booger welds!

T1H5_TA3 said:

whats wrong with baterys..
Nothing if you take a few precautions, like not having the batteries sitting right next to the part you are welding, the fumes coming out of a battery is highly explosive and battery acid hurts like hell!!!:D

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Here is a pic of one of my booger welds.
It holds my rear crossmember on but the welds on the top and bottom are fine its just i was too lazy to grind this one back and fix it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: booger welds!

stainless steal dave said:
there is nothing wrong with battery welding-
that was my point exactly..
inly problem ive ever had was like i said was running 3 bats when doing exhaust work.... lol.. poof.. scrach head... poof.scratch head.. what the hell? ... oh.. oops.. lol

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
i couldnt get anything to weld for shit today, its sooo windy it blows the gas right off the metal before you even get the bead started...but heres a couple, had a spark fly into my crotch area trying to block the wind. only to fall(burn) into my pants and put a little blister on the tip of one eyed willie:eek:. i tryed to tell my girlfriend saliva is good for burns, but she isnt buying it...

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i have been walking funny for about three days now. damn that hurts. i am looking for leather undies

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
camo said:
i have been walking funny for about three days now. damn that hurts. i am looking for leather undies
ten bucks says, TNToy quotes you:flipoff2:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts