Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any sources the show you how to do street tricks on a bike? Would like to get started on these but don't have any refrences to get the ideas down.

·
Registered
471 Posts
go find some kids doing it and ask them how and ride around with them, thats how i started.

·
Registered
314 Posts
jollypirate said:
go find some kids doing it and ask them how and ride around with them, thats how i started.
:laughing: thats a great way...really it can be entertaining , maybe for them.. but its alwasy good fun...
anyways.
check out http://www.trials-online.com
I love the site, or http://www.ridemonkey.com

both have good people, good informatoin, and the Trials ONline site has tons for vids, pic, and walkthroughs..
Theres some other, i'll post them when I get home...
-AD

·
Registered
471 Posts
ammelk said:
:laughing: thats a great way...really it can be entertaining , maybe for them.. but its alwasy good fun...
when i started i wasnt a stupid pussy and tried everything they were doing even though i bailed alot so i got a pretty good rep around my area, when i see kids sucking it up trying stuff i usually go talk to them and show em how to do stuff and ask if they wanna ride around with are little group.

·
Registered
314 Posts
jollypirate said:
when i started i wasnt a stupid pussy and tried everything they were doing even though i bailed alot so i got a pretty good rep around my area, when i see kids sucking it up trying stuff i usually go talk to them and show em how to do stuff and ask if they wanna ride around with are little group.
Ok,I worded that wrong.. I agree, its either try it or don't. the only way you'll get anywhere with trials is to practice, practice, practice, :smokin: and practice some more...thats the great part about doing anything even like this. you try so hard to learn something new, and when if finally clicks, you feal like you've just when 10 rounds with the heavyweight champ, and WON...
ok that was super cliche' :rolleyes: but you get the idea..
Just remember, you can get hurt pretty bad, helmets aren't for dorks, only the ones that want to remember what they did the day before..
alright enough of my ranting... :laughing:

·
Registered
471 Posts
oh yehai full face helmet will save u face when it hist ur bars, (trust me, i have 4 fake teeth now...) and i woudl wear shin guards too...

·
Registered
314 Posts
:laughing:..No Kidding...what perfect way to Mess Up a beautifull smile :rainbow:...
:flipoff2: I have two front fakers also...Damn Cement...:D

·
Registered
471 Posts
ammelk said:
:laughing:..No Kidding...what perfect way to Mess Up a beautifull smile :rainbow:...
:flipoff2: I have two front fakers also...Damn Cement...:D
are you saying im gay? :(

·
Registered
314 Posts
jollypirate said:
are you saying im gay? :(
You can thank my wife :smokin: for that one...
last time I Let her type....
and no It's not what you think...I had to let the dogs out, and she insited ( :confused: ) that she finish it, and now I know why..
anyways, I hear yah. broken teeth suck, and that is :rainbow: (the breaking the teeth part that is :D

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I used to a be competitive trials rider several (many) years ago - almost 6 now. Learning the trials moves takes a hell of a lot of time and patience. I have virtually no patience so I'm suprised I learned what I did.

Anyway, I will try and explain the crank kick as well as I can. Get a good pair of full fingered riding gloves. Make sure your bike is shifting smooth and holds gears when you apply alot of power to the drive train. If you skip a gear while loading the drive train doing this trick, you can seriously rack your self and it's just no fun. Make sure you can lock your brakes with only two fingers per hand - one if comfortable. This shouldn't be any problem with most modern disc hydro and cable brakes on today's bikes.

-The key to this move is timing your pedal stroke and locking the rear brake. I don't recommend starting out in a slow foward coast like some people do - (they coast foward, lock the front brake and transfer their weight backwards help lift the front of the bike) It's a bad habit to get into.

-Determine your power foot; it's the one you'll start out with in front of your body (3 o'clock) when starting a trick or usually crusing around; not pedaling but standing up. Mine happens to be my right foot; I'm also a goofy footed snow boarder meaning I naturally head down the mountain with my right foot foward.
-Start out in a gear that'll provide you when enough leverage to be able to lift the front of the bike off the ground, ultimately allowing you to move your power foot only about an 1/6th a complete pedal stroke (For me it'd be from about 3 to 5 o'clock) - before you and the bike are almost verticle. You'll be pushing down on the pedal with your power foot while pulling up on the bars. This will take a little bit of trial and error to figure out depending on your leg strength, arm strength and gearing. On the average mountain bike it's going a combo of your front middle chain ring (32tooth) and a rear cog somewhere towards the top of the cassete.
2) Once you have you gear figured out, start out from a stand still with your favored (power) foot foward - at 3 o'clock with your brakes off.
3) Begin to lean way back, keeping your arms slightly bent at the elbows, while performing the short pedal stroke described in step 1 (quick pedal from 3 - 5). Begin to pull the handle bar to your chest as you pedal; effectively bringing you and the bike verticle - perpindicular to the ground. When done correctly, you'll be almost standing straight up on your pedals with your bike standing straight up as well.
4) As you begin to get straight up as described above - get your pedals back at 3 and 9 again and lock your back brake.
5) Practice getting verticle like this a bunch of times in the grass - get comfotable doing this before you even thinking about taking a pedal stroke foward to begin walking the bike. You'll get verticle and fall toward the side or backwards time and time again and that's fine!!
Once you're comfy getting verticle try and imagine doing this: -
6)Get verticle, pedals at 3 and 9, rear brake locked.
7) With the rear brake still locked, lift your power foot slightly; bringing it to 1 o'clock
8) Straighten your arms in front of you; letting the front end of the bike down towards the ground slightly upon the pedal stroke. Lean back slightly to counter the front shifting weight of the bike. Moving foward stroke: quickly - unlock the rear brake, kick your power foot, clockwise (foward) to 3 o'clock. By giving the rear tire a quick burst of power, you should have moved foward; like a small hop foward on the back tire. If you fall over, that's fine - you'll eventually learn your balance points.
9) As you land from the hop (back tire only touching the ground, the front should still be off the ground), bring the handle bar back to your chest and lock the rear brake. Also as you land, level your feet back out to 3 and 9 o'clock; you and the bike staying verticle.
10) Repeat the brake on/off pedal stroke motion, working on your balance, finding your balance point.

This can be learned in a couple of hours and mastered quickly depending on how often you practice. I used to do this move, traveling off of 6' - 8' drop offs in Washington, DC. Needless to say, years of doing that shit kicked my ass so I kinda burned out. It's a fun move. And once you've got it, you'll never forget it. Good luck!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
apprenetly more... are you a trials spy?

WHO DO YOU WORK FOR!
WHERES YOURE HEADQUARTERS!
WHOS YOUR LEADER!
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
471 Posts
yeah that would be fun, but im lacking in the rear brake departement lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
get some tar off the road and rub it on your rims
its fugly and nasty but your brakes will work great

i used to do it when i was a little kid
i couldnt afford good brakes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts