Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if I have a boost leak , which is only noticeable when towing up steeper grades. With my 99ctd ,edge easy ,4" exh and gauges, I can get 26 psi of boost but can't seem to hold it ( drops and holds to 20 ish ). Around town and towing on flat roads I notice no problems ( I'm guessing cause the truck doesn't need as much boost ) And when the truck is empty it goes great. I never drop below 17 psi fuel pressure, so I don't think my power loss is fuel related.

Is it normal for some boost drop when trying to hold speed on a hill?
What kind of boost #'s do you guys get with a similar setup?

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
if you have a boost leak some where you should notice an increase in your egt's.... i never loose boost up hills, i actually have to watch the skinny pedal cause i could push 50-60 psi if i really wanted. im betting on the end tank seal giving out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
like said your egt's will go up with a boost leak and smoke will increase as well. you could pessurize the system to see if their is any leaks. what turbo do you have? if you have a auto tranny you will have a hy35 that has a 9mm exhaust housing that boost wont be very high and sounds about right for what you have. if you have a five or six speed then you have a hx35 that has a larger exhaust housing. the hx will run higher boost, around 35psi. the drop in boost may be due to a clutch or tq converter slipping.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 5 speed, and the Egt's arn't out of control, but I'm not sure if there higher than normal as this has been a developing power loss over the last year and can't remeber what the normal #'s should be. I'm not getting anywhere near 35 pounds of boost though:(

·
Premium Member
3,719 Posts
WG might be opening up. but with an EDge EZ thats a pretty mild fueling box. i dont recall getting over 32 in my old 2002 24v

1 - 5 of 5 Posts