Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the thread about the kingpin roller bearings got me thinking, i know dangerous subject.
Anyways, does anyone know if a bronze bearing has been designed to replace the plastic bushing in the D60?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
I have seen them in teflon, nylon and delrin. I have not seen bronze. I like the teflon ones best so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aggro said:
I have seen them in teflon, nylon and delrin. I have not seen bronze. I like the teflon ones best so far.
How do the teflon hold up to the high steer? Do you knoew who has them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
closed knuckle D70 front axles used bronze bushing on top of king pin with standard bearing race-at least the ones i've had apart-does not mean all of them were built like that............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, and I know that the old J10 closed knuckle D44's had tapered rolled bearings for thier kingpins.
That don't help this poorboy tho'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
if you take one of the plastic bushings to any local machine shop they could duplicate it in bronze for you. don't know what they would charge for their services- i own a shop so i don't have to pay for my parts when i need something. if they want a excessive amount of money maybe i could help out .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
JeepinIan said:


How do the teflon hold up to the high steer? Do you knoew who has them?
They are spec'd by spicer to be teflon. They hold up pretty well, depending on what type of abuse you give them. If they don't arrive in a spicer box they aren't. Seems like some generics are nylon and some are a cheesy hard plastic that is prone to cracking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Well, since you own a shop what would be a reasonable quote?

stainless steal dave said:
if you take one of the plastic bushings to any local machine shop they could duplicate it in bronze for you. don't know what they would charge for their services- i own a shop so i don't have to pay for my parts when i need something. if they want a excessive amount of money maybe i could help out .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
broncorob said:
Well, since you own a shop what would be a reasonable quote?

it would start at 2 full sail ambers beers:p and go up tothat spare 60 that is laying around in the back yard. J/K






CLiff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
I'm not sure if it is teflon or Derlin, but Class 8 trucks use the 'plastic' bushings with no problems, so I don't know if there is much point in going to bronze.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
Flip1YJ said:
I'm not sure if it is teflon or Derlin, but Class 8 trucks use the 'plastic' bushings with no problems, so I don't know if there is much point in going to bronze.
Likely teflon, the delrin units I have seen are custom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
broncorob said:
Well, since you own a shop what would be a reasonable quote?

[/ B]
walked out to shop to look at what is left of e-cliff's 60f. 1 plastic bushing broken up to much to measure. other bushing appears to have a rib on o.d. of bushing at very top and then missing the rest of the length of the bushing- been also damaged . is the o.d. of a new bushing round or is there a full rib about 1/16'' wide the full length of the bushing on the o.d.? this will determine time and cost to make them.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,471 Posts
stainless steal dave said:
walked out to shop to look at what is left of e-cliff's 60f. 1 plastic bushing broken up to much to measure. other bushing appears to have a rib on o.d. of bushing at very top and then missing the rest of the length of the bushing- been also damaged . is the o.d. of a new bushing round or is there a full rib about 1/16'' wide the full length of the bushing on the o.d.? this will determine time and cost to make them.......
Bushing is 1.25" tall. Rib is 1" tall--there's a 1/4" at the bottom of the bushing that has no rib.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
damm!- bushings are going to be time consuming and expensive to make. machined from solid stock approx. 100.00 each depending on what the local shop hourly rate is and cost of materials- it might be cheaper to just replace plastic bushings every couple of years- how much do new plastic bushings cost? the plastic bushing is the expendable part in the assembly-it is supposed to wear out. by the way scott i dont know you but tom mossberg had lot's of good things to say about you and your rig. i gave him the d70f for his toyota and made the custom 4140 alloy high steer arms for it. maybe i'll meet you on the trail one day............;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,296 Posts
that was welder boys first attempt was to make a bronze bushing but it was only a marginal improvement thats why he went to a tappered bearing :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
welder boy builds nice stuff- i've seen his work also seen his rig at rubicon on memorial day and july 4th and labor day at fordice his stuff works very well. tapered roller bearings top and bottom are the way to go on a 60f - a lot more money- but you get what you pay for don't forget about his custom knuckles to go with the bearing conversion- his skills are exceptional. some people can't afford the stuff they would like to own. maybe there is a market for a upgrade on the plastic bushing that is used on king-pin 60f ? maybe not- this post might determine that- maybe gear man and welder boy will be developing a new product line!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Heheheh
Things have gone full circle. Years ago all king pin were bronze bushings. They had to be fitted(honed after installations to size). the appearance of nylon bushing was the "Cats Meow" no more honing of king pins, lasted almost as long and didn't wear the pins themselfs. Now we want to replace the nylon with bronze..hehehehe...09
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stainless steal dave said:
damm!- bushings are going to be time consuming and expensive to make. machined from solid stock approx. 100.00 each depending on what the local shop hourly rate is and cost of materials- it might be cheaper to just replace plastic bushings every couple of years- how much do new plastic bushings cost? the plastic bushing is the expendable part in the assembly-it is supposed to wear out. by the way scott i dont know you but tom mossberg had lot's of good things to say about you and your rig. i gave him the d70f for his toyota and made the custom 4140 alloy high steer arms for it. maybe i'll meet you on the trail one day............;)

$100 will drive it right out of the picture, as you said. I'd rather carry a few plastic bushings.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top