Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got a pretty good deal on this jeep, its not much as far as pirate is concerned, but I'm kinda excited about it.

So a freind of mine was building this Grand Cherokee 4.0 lerado, and decided he wanted a JK.

Jensen touch screen double din stereo with back up camera and navigation, Cobra CB radio with firestick entena, cheap 50" light bar
(I [email protected] hate it), Scanguage from autozone, brand new 4" RC long arm kit with 2" budget boost, brand new Bilstien 5100 shocks", 35×17 Maxxis Trepador tires.

Lift and tires less than 100 miles on them.

I bought this jeep for $5k super clean.

Here is what iv bought since I picked her up. 30 spline chromos 4.88 gears and elockers on the way. A local shop is going to address the steering system for me (i don't have the room for a bender and my experience in fab is limited). Trail forged bumper will be here supposedly tomorrow ( [email protected] UPS), 242 slip yoke eliminator installed with custom drive shafts installed.

I know the Rough country kit is not great for various reasons, but it will get me on the trails, that my friends like to take. I can upgrade and modify as I go obviously.

I'm planning on relocating evap cannister and the associated mess that goes with it (still has to pass emissions).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Did a shake down run with it today on long water gulch here in colorado she needs some more trimming ,but performed very well ..... has some odd clunks coming from right front corner when flexing. Gonna nut and bolt check it this week again for good measure.

Pretty plush ride what a difference the longer arms make, 12 psi in tires helped there too obviously. Pretty satisfied with the purchase so far.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chomo axles and lockers showed up today. Will be getting that buttoned up here real soon.

Front bumper showed up last week.
I have A LOT of bending and welding to do!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I finally received all of my axle parts lockers gears and chromos front and rear..... did the locker in the front axle things went well until they didnt..... 30 spline locker installed put together front axle shafts (inners and outers). I go to install them in the housing ........ way to short ..... I pull the rears out of the box and look at the bearing kit and compare shafts to stock shafts...... these are c clip shafts and have no bearing retainer with the kit. I compare lengths to the stock shafts, and wouldn't you know it they are about 3 inches too short.....
[email protected]# 4wheel parts.....

I waited almost 3 months to get the wrong shit that may not even exist wj axles

Update will come soon on what I find out and what I decide if I need to change direction.

I hope I can return this crap or I just flushed 4k down the crapper.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I haven't done crap with the jeep till now and havnt had any updates been bussssssssy.

So I decided to order a custom axle from East Coast Gear Supply

Shortened to stock wj width
Cromos
Auburn locker
4:88

I drove it to work 140mile round trip,
I'm pretty disappointed overall with my gear choice (I think) it struggles to do highway speeds, and it only gains 1/2 a mile per gallon. So I'm at 12.5 mpg on highway.
I was hoping to see atleast 15mpg, and a little more umph. I know I know its a 4L.
Do you guys think I should have gone 5:13s?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the front done eaton locker, rcv's, rare parts ball joints. The speed sensors didnt clear the boot anyone have any ideas how to get my odometer and speedometer back?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I have an idea for the speed sensor issue.
Let me know what you guys think.

Use th unit bearings from eather a wk or a dana 30 jk, since the sensor is integrated or mounted in the bearing.

What are your thoughts ?

Edit never mind both have the wrong spline count! I thought they where the same

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes I think 5.13s or lower gears would be better especially if you have the axles to support them wich you do

Im on 4.88 and 35s think 4.88 is not low enough at times.

Looking back it looks like your strapped to 4.88s in the front axle.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts