Pirate 4x4 banner

181 - 200 of 1744 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Great update pics!

How slick was the ice at that campground?

I carry micro spikes (for my boots/shoes) in my Bronco during the Winter months.
It was bad, you couldn't walk on it. Period. It was a layer of ice/packed snow that had melted, so ice with water running over the top of it.... We shoveled snow on top of it all around the truck so we could walk!

It was kinda fun to hit boost leaving though :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Love the thread. Will you ditch the duels when you get new tires & wheels? What size are you thinking of going up to?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Love the thread. Will you ditch the duels when you get new tires & wheels? What size are you thinking of going up to?
Thanks, glad your enjoying it!

I'm torn on the wheels and tires. The tires are literally brand new. Just put on before I bought the truck. They drive very nice other than turning lots of rpms.

I've been looking at the 335/80/20 msa275 million take offs, but they are huge, stepping up to a 42 will take a fair bit of lift, which I really don't want.

The other option is just going 265 or 285 on the duals. I had duals on the old truck and they never really caused me any issues. It will see forest service roads and whatnot.

Or go to a custom 20" wheel, looking at first attack, and a high load rated LT tire. Nitro makes one I'm not remembering and the MTR have pretty high load ratings on their E tire I need to get weighed to see if that's even do able.

Ideally I'd fit whatever I can get on with a 2" front and a 1-1.5" block in the back.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
It was a little wet Saturday.... Makes working on the truck miserable. I strung a tarp up between the garage and truck, that helped a little....

Thats a gravel driveway under there....

And a half block from my house.

Didn't get much done. Started layout for the counter top. A lot of weird ass radiused angles on the stove... 1 3/16" radius corners?! Really?

Holes cut and nailed in place.

Weather cleared up for Sunday, good. Tile time.

That was a pain in the ass...

But my lovely wife polished all the edges of the tiles for me!

First row in. Glued down with polyurethane adhesive caulk. That was interesting to trowel.

Done! Well need to grout still....

Anyone recognize this extrusion? I'm guessing its not proprietary to TriVan. I need a couple pieces. You can see my dirt finger line plan :sombrero: Bob the rear end a bit. Should really help with the departure angle. I will have to re-do the hitch, but this thing is built like a bomb shelter. I don't plan to tow much more than my little aluminum boat.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Thoughts on tire clearance?

Top of the tape is a 37", should fit ok, but cuts down on clearance.

Not sure how much the rear end really moves on these things.

Still listening for options on these two

I guess anyone have tuner recommendations? Seems like the black maxx gets very good reviews. But its $$$$ I dont need more power, stock is fine just getting rid of the emissions shit.

Current thinking is block off plates for the EGR coolers, leaving them in place. (is leaving the EGR valve in place a bad idea? I dont want to deal with having to try to pull a sticky valve out and breaking it off in the process.)

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Thoughts on tire clearance?

Top of the tape is a 37", should fit ok, but cuts down on clearance.
Remember that if you're going from a 34 to a 37, half that increase will be on the bottom of the tire. You'll only eat 1.5" into the fenderwell clearance.

But I'm sure it's the fronts that you'll need to worry about anyway.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Remember that if you're going from a 34 to a 37, half that increase will be on the bottom of the tire. You'll only eat 1.5" into the fenderwell clearance.

But I'm sure it's the fronts that you'll need to worry about anyway.
Yes, but I measured from axle Center not ground. Fronts will get cutaway flares and a spacer if needed

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Sorry, too much internet has me assuming the worst about my fellow man...

I'll crawl back under my rock and admire your work from there, carry on!
No worries! Feel free to add any comments, that's why I have this thread. I'm just making things up as I go....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
"Grouted" the counter last night. Used black RTV silicone so it have a bit of movement.

Tape off all the edges.

Work it into the crack, then wipe as clean as possible down the tape line. Carefully pull the tape.

Then I crawled under to finish mounting the poop tank. Added large fender washer to the screws.

Now a question. This section of the tank is not supported. I hung off the back corner and it didnt really seem to flex much at all. Is it worth making a bracket to hold that back corner? Its 1/4" abs on that top flange.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think I'd want to support that corner.

Do you have instructions for your tank or could find them online? I have Ameri-Kart tanks and they have installation instructions which require more support than I'd have guessed.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
I think I'd want to support that corner.

Do you have instructions for your tank or could find them online? I have Ameri-Kart tanks and they have installation instructions which require more support than I'd have guessed.
I couldn't find any instructions directly for this tank. They say that it has a "mounting flange" though. I think it's worth doing, I'd hate to have it fall off somewhere, it's right above the exhaust.... That would smell nice im sure.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Grout looks awesome!
Thanks! It did turn out pretty good. A little deeper than I was hoping for but it came out clean.

Not much time yesterday, but hit the stove hole with a grinder to get it to slip in. Ebay damaged sink, of course its the front corner, oh well, it was cheap.

Dropped the water tank in, perfect fit (after removing my seat top ledgers :D )! Need to get some 1.5" insulation for it to sit on, then it will get permanently installed.

Connections are still going to be tight.

My solution for quick release tail light panels came too, needed to be able to drop them to get to the poop tank dump and the heater fuel tank. Should work ok, hinges were not working.... These will be a bit slower.
[/url]

·
Registered
29,000 Posts
for the tank, why not just some c channel attached to your current mounting point that reaches out to the corner?
just clamp the flange under it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
for the tank, why not just some c channel attached to your current mounting point that reaches out to the corner?
just clamp the flange under it.
Thats a thought, I dont think I can fit a full length one in there. Spring hanger is kinda tight.

My thinking was just a piece of angle or flat stock between that last cross member and the tank with a couple 1/4-20's in the tank flange.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Cut more holes in it. Poop stink evacuator hole.

Insulated the back bath wall. Really only because I needed the scrap!

So I could insulate under the water tank!

Tapped the holes for the tail light panel and used my nifty new wing bolts.

Drops off for easy dumping!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #198 (Edited)
Its amazing how much time all the little stuff takes now...

Opionion Time!

Thoughts on propane tank right in front of the drive wheels? I found a ASME (permanent mount, DOT approved) tank, Its just slightly longer than I wanted.

It almost fits just right, right here:

A couple options, say fawk it and it sticks into the wheel well a couple inches. Not ideal, especially is bigger tires are involved in the future. And it will get constantly pelted.

Option 2: Hack the box in front of it up. I could cut enough of it out so the tank would tuck forward, so the back is just flush with the wheel opening.
This kills my dry storage though... I could put a divider back in, but it would never seal that well. Plus I cant weld aluminum. The up side is the stairs eat most of that box anyway, and they are often wet/snowy/messy anyway.

Option 3: BBQ style tank, originally I planned to mount it on the rear door, but it would fit in the space as well if I could find a nice way to mount it...
Tank in question.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I would worry more about the safety aspect if you blow a tire being that close.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
I would worry more about the safety aspect if you blow a tire being that close.
Yeah thats a concern. The tank is beefy, and Ideally I would put a plate between it and the tires.

181 - 200 of 1744 Posts