Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 1744 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I was just looking at these, might be just the ticket with a piano hinge on one side.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Love the build . Really got me thinking about my next build.
Thanks!!

Here is a floor section for anyone curious, aluminum, some coating (the grey), then a boat load of bed liner.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Cut hole for heater intake and exhaust

Bolt down heater and run exhaust.

Put the slats on the bed. One skinny one since math is hard.

Four fucking heavy batteries.

Harness mounts make great battery mounts too

Started wiring.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Please tell me the ratchet straps are only temporary.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
They were not temporary.... Unless you can give me a reason otherwise.
Because the webbing tends to stretch and deteriorate over time. Then it comes loose at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Because the webbing tends to stretch and deteriorate over time. Then it comes loose at the worst possible time.
Ah I see. Even when protected from UV? I did put a piece of foam under the batteries to help with stretch and Insulate it a bit.

I guess I'll think on it. I thought they would work well.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Ratchet straps are just about one step above bungie cords. A typical set of J-bolts and a bracket across the top is the best and most common way to secure batteries. I would also consider a tray of some sort that will keep them from shifting around.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Ratchet straps are just about one step above bungie cords. A typical set of J-bolts and a bracket across the top is the best and most common way to secure batteries. I would also consider a tray of some sort that will keep them from shifting around.
Ok, I was trying to stay away from a metal strap... I guess I might have to.

I was a planning to add a piece of angle iron at the back.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Time lapse of the weekend.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
No matter how sealed the battery is every strap I've ever seen on a battery has been deteriorated from acid.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Keep it up man!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
If those batteries are flooded lead acid, you will want a tray under them in case the electrolyte solution boils out of the vents during charging. I also concur with the switch to steel straps and J bolts.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
If those batteries are flooded lead acid, you will want a tray under them in case the electrolyte solution boils out of the vents during charging. I also concur with the switch to steel straps and J bolts.
They are sealed agm's.

Damn all you guys. I like my straps! I thought it was a good idea....

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Unsecured batteries are never a good idea and storage batteries like those tend to be ignored for long periods of time so it's possible they could come loose and you may not even know there was a problem until something went very wrong. Honestly, if it were my rig, those would be stored outside the box, a firewall separating them from the living area, have a tray that held each battery securely without letting them touch or rub against each other and would be securely bolted down so they can't shift, move or come loose in an accident. They may be sealed now when they are new but there is no telling what may happen in the future and a busted could cause all sorts of problems and an accident may be bad but it could get much worse if a battery gets loose and starts a fire. Worst case scenario, but sometimes you have to take that into consideration when you are building something you are going to be away from home in and sleep inside. I'm sure Lance never thought their RV would burn to the ground from having R/C batteries rupture while charging but bad things do happen. Not saying your batteries are in any way similar to R/C batteries, just that things can get unpredictable in general. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Unsecured batteries are never a good idea and storage batteries like those tend to be ignored for long periods of time so it's possible they could come loose and you may not even know there was a problem until something went very wrong. Honestly, if it were my rig, those would be stored outside the box, a firewall separating them from the living area, have a tray that held each battery securely without letting them touch or rub against each other and would be securely bolted down so they can't shift, move or come loose in an accident. They may be sealed now when they are new but there is no telling what may happen in the future and a busted could cause all sorts of problems and an accident may be bad but it could get much worse if a battery gets loose and starts a fire. Worst case scenario, but sometimes you have to take that into consideration when you are building something you are going to be away from home in and sleep inside. I'm sure Lance never thought their RV would burn to the ground from having R/C batteries rupture while charging but bad things do happen. Not saying your batteries are in any way similar to R/C batteries, just that things can get unpredictable in general. Just my .02
Totally agree on planning for worst case. I just didn't even see that as an issue. One of the reasons I post for ideas like this.

I'll look into adding metal straps as well.

81 - 100 of 1744 Posts