Pirate 4x4 banner

1121 - 1140 of 1710 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,121
Stopped to pull neighbor out of the ditch.... And continued with projects.

Ran Air lines for the front bags into the cab, flex sheathing used, and fuel tubing slipped over where it passes thru sheetmetal.

Big ass relay added in the compressor power line. Plan is to use running lights to trigger it, yeah a little ghetto, but I have ZERo desire to run a ignition switched line front to back now. I always drive with lights on, so compressor should have power any time engine is running.

Re did all the plumbing on the compressor, no wonder it leaked down over night, factory fittings were all pretty loose. Removed the regulator, added a T for the outlet to the bag controls.

And all ran out the floor, including a new drain fitting!

Need to run the feed to the cab, and hook the bags to the controls, and get the interior back together.... Tonight....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,122
Bags are plumbed..... But one of the switches itself is leaking, thru the body..... Grrrr it appears it's thru the fill side at least, so it should just empty the compressor.... Fingers crossed.

Ghetto fabulous drain valve. But easy to dump compressor often is a good thing!

Also got my new radio installed. Kinda pissed..... GPS wont lock with it under the A pillar. They updated the GPS chipset in the newer model..... I bought cheap and used.... grrrr. Hope I can get it to work.

Radio body tucked away.

Head unit where it cant see the sky apparently.....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,123
Bags are plumbed..... But one of the switches itself is leaking, thru the body..... Grrrr it appears it's thru the fill side at least, so it should just empty the compressor.... Fingers crossed.

Ghetto fabulous drain valve. But easy to dump compressor often is a good thing!

Also got my new radio installed. Kinda pissed..... GPS wont lock with it under the A pillar. They updated the GPS chipset in the newer model..... I bought cheap and used.... grrrr. Hope I can get it to work.

Radio body tucked away.

Head unit where it cant see the sky apparently.....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,125
What kind of radio, it looks HAMish but why GPS?
Yep, ham. APRS, automatic packet reporting system. Ie use ham to send gps coordinates while I drive. Family can track me.

But good news is, I left the radio on all day and it found some satellites!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,127
Cool, I wonder if you can add a port for an external GPS antenna, they are super cheap.

Going to check that radio stuff out.
There is an external goas port, runs nmea 0183, pucks exist, but need to make a custom cable.

But I left it on all day and it found a lock!! We will see how it works driving.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,129
Maybe I missed it but are those rims sold for the aftermarket only or are they from a particular application?
My understanding is they are for a armored vehicle based on the f550/ram 5500 chassis. Likely a prototype perhaps because I'm not sure one was ever produced on those chassis. These were likely a govt auction buy.

But they are available from Hutchinson still.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,130
Well letting the radio think all day while I was at work seemed to get a lock. Not a great lock, but hopefully it works. That may be a PAINFULLY slow GPS chipset.

But I now have a dual band, dual transmit/receive radio, which lets me just run APRS on B band and talk as needed on A band. A does digital also, have not even played with that in the slightest. I think this location will work, just on a magnetic phone mount.

This also happened. Upgraded to a much larger solar controller, 50A max charge current now. Will support a second large panel if I want to go that route. And while I was down there, I realized I can keep the old smaller one for my little portable panel. I already have it wired up for a connection in the drivers side tool box. Redundant systems, and can park in the shade and still make a little power if I want.

And the front bags held pressure, which is good, that means the switch is leaking from the feed side only!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Alot of the swat trucks are F550 based with 20"beadlocks along with the gurkha's (not that it makes it any easier to get the wheels.) Stazworks used to advertise 20" double beadlock DRW wheel for F550 but now on their site they only show a standard SRW non beadlock wheel like brush trucks are switching to.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,132
Set up Camp Friday night, holy S was it windy! Sustained 20-30 and gusts to 55.

Walked the whole cliff line, it was really fun actually.

It was windy enough we moved to this little "divot" to try to get out of it.

Bigger solar controller worked well. More amps!

Did my first real trad lead, it was fun, did a 5.8 I had climbed before, still a bit nerve wracking.

Did this one too, but didnt take any pics....

APRS worked on the way there, 15 mins or so to get a GPS lock.... but then it worked. Not so much on the way home 2.5 hrs to get a lock and it kept dropping. Will need to revist.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,133
Drove the truck to get gas yesterday, seems like its smoking more from stops...... (black, not white) Any reason that would cause that to start happening? Maybe its just because its sunny and I can see it better? But it sure left a good cloud at intersections with stop signs etc.

·
today
1,565 Posts
you should've put diesel in :flipoff2:

our 6.0 just failed emission opacity test 20.9 (20 is limit) it was dark black smoke

i changed fuel filters and air filter and smoke is gone and tested at 0.08
simple things first:smokin:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,135
you should've put diesel in :flipoff2:

our 6.0 just failed emission opacity test 20.9 (20 is limit) it was dark black smoke

i changed fuel filters and air filter and smoke is gone and tested at 0.08

simple things first:smokin:
Fuel is due, I'll do that tonight! The air filter has that little restriction sensor, it's about 2/3 of the way. Has not tripped for a replacement yet, but I could do that also.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,137
there are 2 filters one on frame rail and the one in engine bay

our filter was 5 years old and didn't set the reminder
Yes, I just did the engine mounted one, need to do the frame rail mounted. It's kind of a b**** to get to.

No idea how old my air filter is oh, it looks decent, but who knows. I was putting off replacing it because they are stupidly expensive.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,140
Maintenance time! 127k miles now.

Air filter.... Well that looks dirty compared to a new one.... White balance of my camera makes it look worse than it is, but still. Its noticeably heavier.....

Thoughts on snorkel? I have been thinking of DIY'ing one.... Not sure how much it would help, nor am I sure 4" would flow enough (thats what the Aussies are using on the newer Ford snorkels tho)

Along these lines, Donaldson Top, 4" tube, hopefully less bends on mine.

Did the primary fuel filter also, no pics as I was covered in diesel.... But I don't like the Wix filter, its a little different design than OE. Will proably swap
it for an OE one shortly.

1121 - 1140 of 1710 Posts