Pirate 4x4 banner

1201 - 1220 of 1744 Posts

·
Registered
29,000 Posts
the whole reason I got another batery for my mower was the temp/charge time.

I use a battery and like a quarter to mow my lawn.
but I'd have to wait until the next day to finish that last 50 sq ft, because the battery would take ages to actually charge.

so I just bought another battery when I bought the weed eater.
I will say that after 2 years of use I have no noticed any degradation in performance or capacity, so the management system works.
It's just a PITA sometimes. I wish there was a button that said "I know I'm fucking this battery, just charge it"

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,203

·
Registered
459 Posts
As someone that has looked at DIY powerwalls and DIY LIFEPO4 battery systems I can't see a $49 battery using real LG cells.

IF they work, they work no arguing that. I try to buy batteries with tools in combos as you can save allot or get more for your money.

The Ryobi mover I just bought came with a blower for the same price as the mower kit less blower. I will probably buy the string trimmer/battery combo to get another 3-5Ah batt.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,205
As someone that has looked at DIY powerwalls and DIY LIFEPO4 battery systems I can't see a $49 battery using real LG cells.

IF they work, they work no arguing that. I try to buy batteries with tools in combos as you can save allot or get more for your money.

The Ryobi mover I just bought came with a blower for the same price as the mower kit less blower. I will probably buy the string trimmer/battery combo to get another 3-5Ah batt.
I have no doubt they are not LG cells. But it's just a cheap backup battery for me. I will see how just having one works first

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,000 Posts
that's why I bought the battery with the weedeater combo.

they practically give you the tool for free when you look at battery pricing.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,207
Well remember those shark fins we talked about?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Ouch! I know that you went SS's, so is the tire still mounted and the rotor has that much exposure?

Jack

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,209
Ouch! I know that you went SS's, so is the tire still mounted and the rotor has that much exposure?

Jack
Yep, thr wheel is where the outer dual would be. Disk is normally just inside the inner dual. Luckily it's just a dust shield.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Yep, thr wheel is where the outer dual would be. Disk is normally just inside the inner dual. Luckily it's just a dust shield.

Gotcha.

Jack

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,213
I stumbled on a DIY Color Control GX using a Raspi which might be useful.
https://www.chronicle.me.uk/victronPi/
I need to learn some Pi.... thats way over my head lol...

But it looks like ~170$ in Pi parts, plus the Victron cables. (and I cant find the screen enclosure....) but either way, not bad. About half the price of the GX.

I will do a bit more digging, I really just want Solar, battery status, and load. I dont have victron converters etc so nothing to monitor there. Just the shunt and solar controllers. I am tempted to say I could use the 7" screen (its got an enclosure) and make my own window with what I want to monitor and possibly add some other things as well, but I have not touched Pi at all.....

·
Registered
459 Posts
I need to learn some Pi.... thats way over my head lol...

But it looks like ~170$ in Pi parts, plus the Victron cables. (and I cant find the screen enclosure....) but either way, not bad. About half the price of the GX.

I will do a bit more digging, I really just want Solar, battery status, and load. I dont have victron converters etc so nothing to monitor there. Just the shunt and solar controllers. I am tempted to say I could use the 7" screen (its got an enclosure) and make my own window with what I want to monitor and possibly add some other things as well, but I have not touched Pi at all.....
I hear yah, I have a few Pi's one is collecting dust the other is connected to my 3d printer to act as a web interface. There are so many tutorials as long as you aren't blazing a trail its pretty easy to follow along and have success.
I was thinking a Android radio would be double duty or just a 7" android tablet that could also perform some automation tasks if needed would be cool but really just following the guys build for $200 would be worth the end result I think.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,216
Blew another boost coupler off, I think the hose clamp broke?? They are usually on the coupler, this one was MIA.

Stole a couple house clamps off the water tank to make one big one. Ghetto, but it worked! (note: zip ties will not hold boost :D )

Rain, and Dutch Oven pizzas, we peaced out and headed north to get away from the rain....

Quite little CG off Highway 20.

Beautiful area!

Now.... Rear tires are chunking, thoughts? Sharp rocks or bad pressure? Only the outside edge on the rears. I was thinking maybe it was wheel spin on sharp stuff?

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Bad lug design / sharp rocks. In the first two pics it looks like all of them ripped at the siping in the outside lug.

Have you heard of the hairspray trick? Clean the tubing off real well, spray with your wife's favorite hairspray, slip the boot on, then clamp the shit out of it. Might be the little bit of extra grab you need to prevent the boots from blowing off.

Love how much you get out and use your truck. Definitely something to aspire to, as opposed to just working on them all the time.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,218
Bad lug design / sharp rocks. In the first two pics it looks like all of them ripped at the siping in the outside lug.

Have you heard of the hairspray trick? Clean the tubing off real well, spray with your wife's favorite hairspray, slip the boot on, then clamp the shit out of it. Might be the little bit of extra grab you need to prevent the boots from blowing off.

Love how much you get out and use your truck. Definitely something to aspire to, as opposed to just working on them all the time.
OK cool, I didn't think about the siping at all. Ill take a closer look.

And yes I have heard about the hairspray trick. I plan to pull them all and give them a cleaning and spray them. Have a full set of boots and clamps coming to go in the spare parts bin. Anything else I should add? Have a bag for the front and a serp belt also. Plus some airline and fittings.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
You're using t-bar clamps for the boost tubes, right?

For roadside spares, that little bluetooth OBD2 reader and torque pro has saved me more than once. Spare fuel filters and wrenches to change them wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,220
You're using t-bar clamps for the boost tubes, right?

For roadside spares, that little bluetooth OBD2 reader and torque pro has saved me more than once. Spare fuel filters and wrenches to change them wouldn't hurt either.
Yep T bar clamps. Have extras now....

OBD reader is in the glovebox, forgot about that one. Tuner does basic OBD also.

Fuel filters, good idea!

1201 - 1220 of 1744 Posts