Pirate 4x4 banner

1321 - 1340 of 1744 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,321 (Edited)
See the link I posted for that exact recommendation...
My understanding is the size does matter and needs to be as large as possible, the flow rate through 1/4" PTC air line is miserable.
Yeah my concern is that its still a 1/4" fitting at the bag. Will do more research.... I have two dead compressors with one gallon tanks sitting here.....

Think 3/8" line is big enough?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Ping tanks will fuck up your spring rate and make it real easy to bottom. Your issue is the the shocks. Bilstiens of your flavor use dirgessive valving. Makes it handle like a sports car on the road and ride like shit over chop. You need a rebuildable shock with bleed holes in the piston to make it ride good over the chatter and still have good bottoming resistance. Some King IBP shocks would work wonders.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,323
Ping tanks will fuck up your spring rate and make it real easy to bottom. Your issue is the the shocks. Bilstiens of your flavor use dirgessive valving. Makes it handle like a sports car on the road and ride like shit over chop. You need a rebuildable shock with bleed holes in the piston to make it ride good over the chatter and still have good bottoming resistance. Some King IBP shocks would work wonders.
Won't they keep the spring rate from rising as quick?

Suggestions on who to talk to about shocks? Wish there was someone local but it doesn't seem there is much

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Dodge 2500 with Carli leafs, I need to run 25-30 psi to level my trailers 1200 lb tongue weight. I added 1.3 gallon tanks plumbed with 3/8" lines on my firestone bags, made a difference with rebound harshness. A larger hose would be better.
If you have access to the top plate of the bags when they are installed, you can TIG a larger NPT bung for more flow. We use triple bellow air springs for various gags at work and our first order of business is to add 2" ports.

I will say that I did add a touch more rebound valving to my 2.5" Kings to help with porpoising on some shitty concrete roads.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,325
Dodge 2500 with Carli leafs, I need to run 25-30 psi to level my trailers 1200 lb tongue weight. I added 1.3 gallon tanks plumbed with 3/8" lines on my firestone bags, made a difference with rebound harshness. A larger hose would be better.
If you have access to the top plate of the bags when they are installed, you can TIG a larger NPT bung for more flow. We use triple bellow air springs for various gags at work and our first order of business is to add 2" ports.

I will say that I did add a touch more rebound valving to my 2.5" Kings to help with porpoising on some shitty concrete roads.
Thanks!

One thing to remember though, I have no springs other than the airbags. Adding a large Port could probably be done, but would not be easy.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Won't they keep the spring rate from rising as quick?
You will just be bouncing off the internal bump in the bag that much sooner. I usually run a little antifreeze in the bags to increase the rising rate.

Talk to Ryan at Acutune. He builds lots of shocks for lots of different vehicles.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,329
You will just be bouncing off the internal bump in the bag that much sooner. I usually run a little antifreeze in the bags to increase the rising rate.

Talk to Ryan at Acutune. He builds lots of shocks for lots of different vehicles.
Thanks will do!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,330
Got to thinking. If I disconnect the shocks and drive it, that should take them out of the equation for harshness. I will get bounce, but it should help nail things down perhaps?

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Got to thinking. If I disconnect the shocks and drive it, that should take them out of the equation for harshness. I will get bounce, but it should help nail things down perhaps?
Yes.

Shocks will only make bumps/potholes harsh if they're too stiff. I don't think that's your issue.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Spring rate too high in the bags. bdkw1's theory is easy to test, but I'm skeptical that your shocks are so stiff that it's causing the jarring you describe. If that were the case, the shock bushings would be destroyed in a hurry with that heavy of a rig over that kind of terrain.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,334
Spring rate too high in the bags. bdkw1's theory is easy to test, but I'm skeptical that your shocks are so stiff that it's causing the jarring you describe. If that were the case, the shock bushings would be destroyed in a hurry with that heavy of a rig over that kind of terrain.
My only concern is the digressive valving. Did some reading and definately goes with what I feel on the washboard etc.

·
Registered
457 Posts

That's what I was thinking. I don't have any shocks at all on the rear of my service truck, too heavy to need them I guess.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,336
Unfortunately the fronts are a bitch to get in and out!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,337
Well this happened! Only highway driving so far.

Fit well and the resi's tucked in nicely. Im at 4 clicks (12 total) up from full soft on the high speed compression, and full soft on the low speed.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Did it seem to help or no?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,340 (Edited)
Did it seem to help or no?
Only done freeway for the most part. So far its a big "Meh" A little improvement, but not a ton.... FS roads this weekend I think. Pretty sure they are way long too :( Gotta take some more measurements....

1321 - 1340 of 1744 Posts