Pirate 4x4 banner

1341 - 1360 of 1710 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah I hate to agree but they look like shock will bottom out before bump stop. cheap fix would be space the bump stops down at cost of up travel.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Bilstiens ride pretty nice on the street, so I wouldn't expect much of an improvement there. If your all ready at full soft on the low speed clicker and it doesn't feel like a boat, you my not have enough bleed on the piston.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,343
Bilstiens ride pretty nice on the street, so I wouldn't expect much of an improvement there. If your all ready at full soft on the low speed clicker and it doesn't feel like a boat, you my not have enough bleed on the piston.
Does not feel like a boat anymore than the bilstein's did. As in not at all really. The rear end does feel bouncy now compared to the front . The sharp impacts are high wheel speed correct?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The sharp impacts are high wheel speed correct?
Yes. The clicker in the resi works off shaft displacement. While it does have an effect, it does not have as much effect as changing the shims on the piston. You have way more flow through the piston.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,345
Yes. The clicker in the resi works off shaft displacement. While it does have an effect, it does not have as much effect as changing the shims on the piston. You have way more flow through the piston.
Ok that was my understanding.

Only 3.5" from the bumpstop to the shock body but it doesn't look like it's bottomed out yet, but I haven't don't any dirt either....

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Is that a bump on the bottom of the fox shaft?

Usually shock warranties are voided if the shocks bottom out.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Your bag doesn't look like it has that much travel either. It might bottom before the bumpstop too.

Have you ever cycled it without any pressure in it?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,349
Your bag doesn't look like it has that much travel either. It might bottom before the bumpstop too.

Have you ever cycled it without any pressure in it?
Boom, zero bag pressure.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,351
So is it sitting on the bumpstop or the bag? Whichever, at least it's not the shock.
The bags have internal bump stops, I'm not sure how soft they are, but it's not quite even touching the shock bump stops yet.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,352
Well after a long chat with Ryan at Accutune, I am going to try to raise the front end up 1" or so and see how that goes. I may be bottoming on the bumpstops in the bags. Unfortunately this will increase spring rate.... Going to throw a zip tie on the shock shaft too. And Ill dump it again and measure what I have for minimum shaft length just to compare to. In theory the zip tie shouldn't get to that measurement.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Well after a long chat with Ryan at Accutune, I am going to try to raise the front end up 1" or so and see how that goes. I may be bottoming on the bumpstops in the bags. Unfortunately this will increase spring rate.... Going to throw a zip tie on the shock shaft too. And Ill dump it again and measure what I have for minimum shaft length just to compare to. In theory the zip tie shouldn't get to that measurement.
That's not a bad thing necessarily. Your original issue could have been that you were simply bottoming out. Most of us would be able to recognize that I think, and that's why I didn't think to mention that.

Could also put a go-pro in your wheel well and record suspension movement while driving. That's always a neat trick, and will show you how much everything compresses when you experience your symptom. That might be a better next step.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,354
That's not a bad thing necessarily. Your original issue could have been that you were simply bottoming out. Most of us would be able to recognize that I think, and that's why I didn't think to mention that.

Could also put a go-pro in your wheel well and record suspension movement while driving. That's always a neat trick, and will show you how much everything compresses when you experience your symptom. That might be a better next step.
Yeah it will be more than the kelderman spec, but worth a shot.

Rear is going to need a lift if the front goes up more....

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have never used bags with the internal bump. It makes me nervous not being able to see them or change them out if I don't like them. Starting to think my paranoia was actually correct.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I have never used bags with the internal bump. It makes me nervous not being able to see them or change them out if I don't like them. Starting to think my paranoia was actually correct.
You said the shocks were his issue before. He bought fancy shocks with different valving per your recommendation and the issue is still there.

Or were you suggesting something else?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,357
Not just his Suggestion FWIW.... But I think we may be onto something.... I don't think I will have time to do more than a speed bump test this weekend tho.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You said the shocks were his issue before. He bought fancy shocks with different valving per your recommendation and the issue is still there.

Or were you suggesting something else?
For the issues he was describing, a valvable shock is the only way to go. Something off the shelf that you can't change the valving will never accomplish what he needs. The whole internal bumpstop deal is a whole different ball of wax.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,359
Sooo I'm pretty sure my Windshield is leaking.... Every time it rains I get loud "static pops" thru the stereo, even when it's off.....

Anyone familiar with these? Should I try to pull the trim and smear some goop on it or just take it to the pros?

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Sooo I'm pretty sure my Windshield is leaking.... Every time it rains I get loud "static pops" thru the stereo, even when it's off.....

Anyone familiar with these? Should I try to pull the trim and smear some goop on it or just take it to the pros?

From shocks one day to popping stereo the next, you are definitely covering all bases?

Good luck

1341 - 1360 of 1710 Posts