Pirate 4x4 banner

1581 - 1600 of 1744 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Battery Musings..... Why can mfg's stick to regular sizes.

Same dimensions basically, but more amps and $$ with FR.
Trojan 105AGM, 217AH $916 avail locally.
Fullriver 250-6 250AH (what I have now) $1469 shipped
Lifeline GPL-4CT, 220AH, $1463, avail locally.

These are 2.3" longer, I may not have the room for them....
Victron BAT406225084, 240AH $1047 avail locally

That is thinking of sticking with 6V's. Any other's I should look at?
No idea on sizing but I think two 100AH BattleBorn... or DIY CALB, Sinopoly etc. would fit with plenty of room left?
As much as I don't like the BattleBorn price they are hard to beat for a drop in.

https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Lithium-Phosphate-Off-Grid-Applications/dp/B07QZF73VG/ref=pd_sbs_121_t_0/130-9256681-2033454?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07PW4R4PS&pd_rd_r=943c4531-4acd-437b-a77a-5011840e3361&pd_rd_w=yy00W&pd_rd_wg=0Dk94&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=WYB0Z7VBFRC8N2YX0568&refRID=WYB0Z7VBFRC8N2YX0568&th=1

I know that doesn't help you... 4 of the $99 6v GC2 batteries is a awesome bank for the price but is super heavy and takes up allot of real estate.
If you are limited by internal venting issues and restricted size, lithium would be my choice. I am a tight ass so I would go for china shipped modules or used automotive i.e. Nissan Leaf? modules with BattleBorn as a last resort. I kind of barfed the %30 tax credit on "solar" installs for 2019 that would have likely paid for the battery due to the installation costs being so high.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,582
No idea on sizing but I think two 100AH BattleBorn... or DIY CALB, Sinopoly etc. would fit with plenty of room left?
As much as I don't like the BattleBorn price they are hard to beat for a drop in.

https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Lithium-Phosphate-Off-Grid-Applications/dp/B07QZF73VG/ref=pd_sbs_121_t_0/130-9256681-2033454?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07PW4R4PS&pd_rd_r=943c4531-4acd-437b-a77a-5011840e3361&pd_rd_w=yy00W&pd_rd_wg=0Dk94&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=WYB0Z7VBFRC8N2YX0568&refRID=WYB0Z7VBFRC8N2YX0568&th=1

I know that doesn't help you... 4 of the $99 6v GC2 batteries is a awesome bank for the price but is super heavy and takes up allot of real estate.
If you are limited by internal venting issues and restricted size, lithium would be my choice. I am a tight ass so I would go for china shipped modules or used automotive i.e. Nissan Leaf? modules with BattleBorn as a last resort. I kind of barfed the %30 tax credit on "solar" installs for 2019 that would have likely paid for the battery due to the installation costs being so high.:smokin:
My issue with the lithium is they can't be charged under about 40 degrees. That doesn't work well for me for half the year..... And heating them with their own power seems silly (i don't have a way to duct heat there).

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,584
I was thinking your interior was staying warmish? That will play hell on AGM batteries too
@ 40* you only have 87% capacity.
page 12 of full river manual
Yep I saw that too.... Its not warm under the bed. Better than outside, but chilly. Beer doesn't freeze, but doesn't need much time in the fridge to drink either :laughing:

·
Registered
457 Posts
So it might be worth it to insulate just the battery box, maybe the whole compartment, use a low CFM PC fan to circulate warm air through there.

2"EPS foam would be easy, again not really sure on how much room you have.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,586
So it might be worth it to insulate just the battery box, maybe the whole compartment, use a low CFM PC fan to circulate warm air through there.

2"EPS foam would be easy, again not really sure on how much room you have.
But then I would lose my cold beer storage!

It's mostly insulated, just doesn't get any air flow.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,588
Well skip the batteries and heater then you'll have allot more room for colder beer storage LOL.
Ha!

Talked with the wife. She said order the same ones. So I did. 10 years is a damn good run

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,589
Electrical upgrades inbound.

New inverter charger. Had to go with the 3kw as the 2kw that I wanted is the "compact" model and 6" taller.... New control panel for all the Victron stuff to talk to each other.

Since I was planning 2kw not 3kw, all my connections are undersized..... All new connection goodies for 400A. The inverter is set up to run dual 1/0 cables for pos and neg. Not quite sure how its all going to fit..... Fingers Crossed.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
That's the charger/converter I am eyeballing for my camper build. Looking forward to your install review.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,591
That's the charger/converter I am eyeballing for my camper build. Looking forward to your install review.
I had the lid off already. Its beefy.

Going to suck to try to get it in place in my rig, but such is life!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,593
Wow, you really out whataburgered me there.

Super jealous of the multi+ and the Color GX
Been eyeballing for a long time..... Install weekend after next. Batteries should be here by then hopefully.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,594
Another great weekend done!

Skied with these two awesome ladies.

I love this truck.

361lbs of batteries are scheduled for delivery Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
What skis are those, and what width? Just demo'd some Volkls that were 102 underfoot two weeks ago at Whistler and had a great time (got a few feet of snow that week)...for east coast that's a bit wide though. Ended up with some Armadas that are 98mm, we're headed to Chamonix France in a few weeks so should be a good time to break them in :)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,596
What skis are those, and what width? Just demo'd some Volkls that were 102 underfoot two weeks ago at Whistler and had a great time (got a few feet of snow that week)...for east coast that's a bit wide though. Ended up with some Armadas that are 98mm, we're headed to Chamonix France in a few weeks so should be a good time to break them in :)
They are a Line Influence 115. Fantastic ski, wide but stiffer than most full powder skis. They want to charge hard and fly. You really have to be on top of them, but they will blast thru crud great. They are actually better on icy stuff than my other skinnier skis (Soul 7's) I think just because they are heavier and stiffer.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,597
Fitting the bigger inverter is going to be a project..... Someone didn't exactly leave room...

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Plenty of room.

What 110/220 wire is that to/from the breaker box? Doesn't look like romex.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,599
Plenty of room.

What 110/220 wire is that to/from the breaker box? Doesn't look like romex.
Where is the room?! :laughing:

Its SJTOOW wire. No romex in this build!!!!

My current thinking is build a wall 90degrees from where the breaker box is, tight to the breaker box, and hopefully I can mount the inverter charger there. It's going to be tight and the cables thru the floor are kinda in the way.... I would build a return that would run back past the batteries, enclosing them to support it.

Also got a new supply cord, this one is fine, but get stiff in cold weather. Got a new 12/3 cold weather cord to try.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Nice, whatever gauge/3 wire bundle of four THHN strands. Looks similar to some of the machine cording I've been using in my shop.

What is this normally covered by, a seat? Could definitely build a wall to the right of the breaker box. Would make the shore power feed super short which is nice, and not take up room somewhere else.

1581 - 1600 of 1744 Posts