Pirate 4x4 banner

1621 - 1640 of 1710 Posts

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Right, but still burning battery power to heat the batteries. Seems silly.....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Considering the capacity of the tesla batteries, it's probably negligible, especially with solar to charge them back up.

Run the numbers. Find a heat mat with x watts, capacity of the battery pack, how much it'd discharge over 24 hours keeping itself warm (assuming it's in an unconditioned compartment), then add how much solar charges it in that time, etc. It's not much.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,622
Considering the capacity of the tesla batteries, it's probably negligible, especially with solar to charge them back up.

Run the numbers. Find a heat mat with x watts, capacity of the battery pack, how much it'd discharge over 24 hours keeping itself warm (assuming it's in an unconditioned compartment), then add how much solar charges it in that time, etc. It's not much.
It may not be much, but it all adds up. I get zero solar in the winter..... And yes I'm sure a tesla sized bank can handle a few extra watts to heat itself.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
lithium batteries are great.

but fuck redesigning your whole arrangement to accommodate them.

a pair of fresh lead acids will probably be just fine. You got around with the old ones this long.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,624

a pair of fresh lead acids will probably be just fine. You got around with the old ones this long.
Exactly. But maybe next time, I should have some good temp data by then. That may calm my fears a bit.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts

Totally agreed there.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,627
This is the deal.

Did you get the correct cable to program the Multi?

I am worried about your ability to kill batteries LOL:D
It's just an ether net cable, so yes. The color control should be able to program.

And I don't usually stay more than a couple nights, and burn 50ah a night on average.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,628
As the saying goes, 10lbs of **it in a 5lb bucket...
Old vs new

Out with the old

New in place

High and negative low volt done ish

Too much **** to connect to the negative stud of the shunt....

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's just an ether net cable, so yes. The color control should be able to program.

And I don't usually stay more than a couple nights, and burn 50ah a night on average.

Oh yeah I forgot the Color Control, dang it that's going to be cool.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,631
Old ones coming out

New insulation, I had a piece under the old ones, but it was thin and crushed over time. 1" of XPS used this time.

The old cases showed a little rub wear between them, nothing really to worry about, but I added a little protection anyway. Old inner tubes, should give just a hint of space/cushion

And all in place!

And wired up. Need a bit more wire, and one USB to VE Direct for the victron stuff. I didn't realize you have to leave the head of the BMV in place, I was going to pull it and use the color control only.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,633
Nice work!
Thanks!

Got it powered up last night. Charger works. Just need to get the controls wired up now. And tidy wiring up.

One thing I didn't know, it seems the Victron charger will only pass ac thru if it's turned to inverter mode?

·
Registered
464 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,635

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,636
I am so freaking sore. What idiot designed this fucking truck?!?!?!

48" deep, 9" wide.... My wires have to run at the VERY back edge.... Put both arms over your head, shimmy in, brace feet against other wall, breathe out and push.... Ouch. I am not a small person...

After drilling two holes (because the first one was too small.....) Feed long stiff wire through and try to hit the hole in the upper shelf. Curse repeatedly. But I got it, take one VE direct cable, one power cable, and one ethernet, and hope like hell you can get it back thru the little hole.

Removed the BMV, cut the hole for the Color control, and mounted it.

Remounted the BMV (you need it for the battery calculations, the color control wont talk to the shunt directly....)

And powered it up. No programming. I was exhausted at this point...

Now the annoying part. The color control will not work with the bluetooth dongles.... WTF. I guess I will see if I can return the VE to USB I bought.... Stupid. It will work on wifi.... But you have to use their wifi dongle they like. And that's a shit load more setup. I guess I will try to learn some networking..... If I can get on the house wifi from where the truck is parked that might be cool though.... Remote data logging is possible I guess. More to learn.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,638
networking is easy.

post what you need to figure out.
Ha sure it is..... Ill let you know how it goes today. I have exactly one hour to fuck with it this evening, if I can find a wifi dongle it will talk to. IIRC I have one somewhere.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
it's just numbers.
think of them like street addresses and the data you want to send as mail.
every packet is an envelope.

so if you're going to connect it to a network I'd advise assigning it a static IP outside of your DHCP range, or assigning it a static DHCP lease.
that way it's always at the same address when you ask it something.

the larger issue will be when you're away from home how will you talk to it? hotspot from your phone?
wifi hotspot in the truck?
unless it will do an adhoc network and assign your phone a DHCP address you won't be able to use it standalone, which is probably the single biggest advantage to bluetooth vs wifi.

do you ave anything else you'd like to be accessible on a network? If so an access point may be a good thing in the truck to just provide an easy access to everything on it's own network.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It was nice to not have to turn the inverter on whenever I was plugged in (with the previous model).

Plug in, AC on, unplug AC off, no having to turn inverter on and off. I dont like to leave it running as it eats battery when not in use.

I ran into the same issue on some job trailers I built with Renogy and AIMS inverter/chargers. Roughnecks would leave the inverter in Auto and forgot to turn it off when the would rig move, next location = dead battery voltage too low to charge

Maybe the color control will help with the reminding.

1621 - 1640 of 1710 Posts