Pirate 4x4 banner

1661 - 1680 of 1710 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,661
Have you seen any info on battery warming current consumption.

I was thinking if the batteries are in a 2" XPS insulated box, how much current would it take to keep them warm?

Duct in some hot air off the webasto, or the ideal run some hyronic grid under them would be easy.
I can't get heat to them easily.... Unless it's a pad heater. Which I really don't want to do.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Have you seen any info on battery warming current consumption.
I was thinking if the batteries are in a 2" XPS insulated box, how much current would it take to keep them warm?

Duct in some hot air off the webasto, or the ideal run some hyronic grid under them would be easy.
I think insulating and trying if possible to heat the battery storage is the way to go as opposed to elec heat for the most part.

In my current slide in camper, I pulled the battery box and had just enough room to wrap it with 1" urethane rigid insulation and since venting is not an issue I put a small transfer grill from inside to the batteries.

I live in northern ca so dont typically need to worry when it is plugged in at home.

My next plan is to have the batteries located entirely inside the conditioned space under a sofa with circulating heat.

Dynamax has just released an new super C (Isata-5 28SS) with lithium drop ins and builtin heaters, I think relion or battle born was the manuf.

Java is right though, what we think is great today in regards to lithium will be old school in the next few years.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,663
I think insulating and trying if possible to heat the battery storage is the way to go as opposed to elec heat for the most part.

In my current slide in camper, I pulled the battery box and had just enough room to wrap it with 1" urethane rigid insulation and since venting is not an issue I put a small transfer grill from inside to the batteries.

I live in northern ca so dont typically need to worry when it is plugged in at home.

My next plan is to have the batteries located entirely inside the conditioned space under a sofa with circulating heat.

Dynamax has just released an new super C (Isata-5 28SS) with lithium drop ins and builtin heaters, I think relion or battle born was the manuf.

Java is right though, what we think is great today in regards to lithium will be old school in the next few years.
They are on 1" of xps on the floor. That's the least insulated area.

A grill to living area could be done, but without a fan I'm not sure it would do much.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts

A few weeks ago I think there was a short mention of Battle Born coming out with batteries that have built-in heaters. Might have been Will Prowse. That'd be more efficient than trying to push heat through the plastic cases.

And ditto. Battery tech is getting fresher every day. Maybe even every minute.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yeah sorta.

It doesn't appear to be charging at high enough voltage for the temp, batteries are at 9c....

Per the full river manual I would agree. At 10C bulk and absorb should be both over 15v and float over 14v.

Anyway to pre-heat that compartment at home? Even just for testing, basically "pretend camping" so you can monitor it from work during the week?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,669
How every good evening starts?

Quiet little breakfast spot.

And a couple little upgrades. Noticed my fire extinguisher was in the red last week. Been eyeballing these for awhile.

And did one of these. I like it so far. My only complaint is its plastic. I got a different model originally, but it didn't cover the hole in the door.... But it was all metal.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The guys on the Heartland RV forum really like those locks, the company seems very repeatable as well. They have a vendor forum and supply parts when posible for user repairs.

Any battery news?
Just a thought but if the solar charger is not making any power you might want to disconnect it from the battery as it will have a small parasitic draw.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,671
The guys on the Heartland RV forum really like those locks, the company seems very repeatable as well. They have a vendor forum and supply parts when posible for user repairs.

Any battery news?
Just a thought but if the solar charger is not making any power you might want to disconnect it from the battery as it will have a small parasitic draw.
That's good to hear. I did some looking into them and they did seem well regarded.

No battery news..... Off grid one night and burned 7ah according to the gauge. Just rolled in late and went to bed.

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the physical bypass lock on that handle is easy to pick and that a novice could do it in less than 30 seconds with a jiggler.

they are all trash.

as always, don't expect locks to keep anyone out, just keeping honest people honest as they say.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,673
I'd be willing to bet that the physical bypass lock on that handle is easy to pick and that a novice could do it in less than 30 seconds with a jiggler.

they are all trash.

as always, don't expect locks to keep anyone out, just keeping honest people honest as they say.
I have no doubts about that.... But every RV lock in the universe is that way (and most house deadbolts etc too). The 100lb German Shepard that's usually in the truck helps though.... Motion lights in the driveway and I can hear it from my bedroom, but as always keeping honest people honest....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yeah locks are locks, no news there. Maybe he was suggesting to not worry about the plastic lock assembly on a cardboard house (that's what I call my RV).

The keyless ability sounds awesome, more than once a family member has been locked out of my RV during trips. It usually makes them extra bitchy after waiting hours to get it unlocked LOL.

Several times around black Friday I have almost bought one of these but I always flake out.

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
Yeah locks are locks, no news there. Maybe he was suggesting to not worry about the plastic lock assembly on a cardboard house (that's what I call my RV).

The keyless ability sounds awesome, more than once a family member has been locked out of my RV during trips. It usually makes them extra bitchy after waiting hours to get it unlocked LOL.

Several times around black Friday I have almost bought one of these but I always flake out.
yes.

the plastic body is not the weakest or fastest way to defeat that lock.
the bypass key lock is.
it's probably a pretty shitty wafer lock like every other RV lock.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,676

Its super handy no not have to grab the keys every time you run something out to the truck, or forget something in it etc.

I broke the key off in the old lock..... That is what prompted this :D

yes.

the plastic body is not the weakest or fastest way to defeat that lock.
the bypass key lock is.
it's probably a pretty shitty wafer lock like every other RV lock.

Yup standard issue .99c wafer lock....

All you fuckers stay away from my truck!!!! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Its super handy no not have to grab the keys every time you run something out to the truck, or forget something in it etc.

I broke the key off in the old lock..... That is what prompted this :D

Yup standard issue .99c wafer lock....

All you fuckers stay away from my truck!!!! :flipoff2:

You could always break another key off in the lock LOL.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,679
Can't be worse than the tool box key?

Back door is a good lock

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,680
Rolled in late Friday night, nuking snow! Ending up with 7-8" and it kept snowing all day.

Snow was amazing. We skied. A lot.

Fun little cornice to drop off of.

Saturday was gorgeous weather, so we skied then too.

And I learned more new things..... With the truck now charging at higher voltages for the cold temps, the maxfans now turn off. They have a high voltage cutout..... I will need a resistor or some sort of DC-DC voltage regulator.

1661 - 1680 of 1710 Posts