Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boys Weekend 2014.

Its the annual Boys Weekend (started 2007) where the boys have been good partners to their significant others all summer earning them a long weekend away. Well, i guess this year, the boys sucked at being good spouses and the turnout was dismal. Next year may see a few changes where some new boys will be invited. :D
Normally we ride the Livingstone Range but the floods of last year wiped out the many camping spots we use. A last minute decision was made to camp near Race Horse Creek.
A buddy from Ontario shipped his bike out for this adventure.

Day 1

We set up camp on Thursday and decided to do a short drive to find the 100m uphill from the 940 that connects to the Kananaskis Loop.

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We park.
i feel somewhat sure that we are below the K-Loop.
We are not, not even close :lol:
We ride up the road and try another bushwhacker.
Nope.
We ride up again and we find the road that takes you down to the stage area. No worries now as i know the K-loop comes very close to this road.
We look.
We find it.
We head along it back towards the 940. i figure i will remember where on the trail, it is just above the 940.
Mike from Ontario has a gps and tells me we are right above the road. i 'know' that when i scouted the road from the trail, it was an easy 100 m to get there.
We head down and its not 100m. Its at least 1km, but we find the road.
We turn around and head back to the trail to go further to where i 'know' the road is RIGHT THERE :crazy:
Riding along and sure enough i recognize the landmark and the road is indeed 100m down. Yay!

Well, now its time to ride. Back to the K-Loop and off we go. We catch the tail end of a storm that has laid down some heavy rain. The trail appears not to be ridden this year as a few badly placed trees here and there. It was a tuff ride. Oh yeah, it was HOT.
We finish the loop back to the truck and head back for a few wobblies and some good food.

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Such a great part of Canada.
Never a bad pic...

next,,,
We drive to the staging area and decide we will do the Mine loop with Husaberg Boulevard thrown in.
For those that have ridden the Mine...you know.
For those that have not, like my buddy from Ontario, its a treat.
PURE CLIMB.
You start in the valley and you travel up. Elevation gain is lots.
The final section is the Mine. It begins as a well defined singletrack but shoots you up for the 2nd last climb to a free for all ascent. Rocks are big, unattached and everywhere. There is no trail, just a hope you do not lose forward progress.
This is before you get to the open mine...

no music, no edit. play at 720hd under settings.

This is looking down. You can just see a rider coming up but not making it in the right side of film...

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When the trail hits the cutblock, i had always ridden it to the right. But, i guess last year, the A's and Pros went left to a new track. We decided to do it the newer way.
It was very kewl :cheers: .
Made our way back to the 'road'.
Headed back up to the top of the mine.
Found the trail that takes you back down.
Back to the truck and back to camp...

The start...
play in hd

continuing down...

Once down, you get a bit of a breather as you make your way back up the backside. Eventually a singletrack can be found and you make your way back down the mine on a different trail. Views are spectacular...

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another day...
We decide to ride the Spine. We begin as one would in the race starting in the staging area. We find the trail and there is some trees down along the way and at one point the trail is no longer. We bushwhack and find it again but i make the wrong turn and we end up in nowhere land. We find our way back and on course the right direction.
The start of the climb into the Spine is well ridden these days and it makes it a tad tuffer. :crazy:

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Everyone has a helmetcam nowadays, that i tend to only run mine for certain sections, different angles and like the following spine videos...backwards.
as always change youtube settings to HD.

This video is after the first plateau reached. In the background you will see some very dark clouds, more on that later :lol:

This is the final hard climb to the top. There is a slight elevation gain after (in the next video) but once here, you have definitely reached a known landmark. Elevation gain is about 2500 feet from base camp to here...

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is a cool riding section along the ridge of the spine. Drop off is huge, stay on the trail :crazy:

What has come up must now go down...

and down...

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As i look at these videos coming down the spine to the cutblock, i remember that when we got to the bottom of this never ending downhill that we all laughed at how insane it would be to go the opposite way and go up to the spine this way. Ironically, i did just that at the Crowsnest XC. :lol:

Thankfully, the trail is pretty straight forward to follow and we continue. We get to an open area with a creek in front of us and we see remnants of a 'flag' on the other side. We push forward. Did i mention it was hot? like REALLY hot!. My buddy from Ontario gives us the sign of death, not sure how he came up with it but basically he needs to stop and stop NOW. He tells us that he is burning up and he needs to cool his feet down. i actually picture him taking his boots and socks off to prance around in the creek, thankfully he just walks into the creek fully geared. After he is down to room temperature, we again continue. We come to a t-intersection where the singletrack ends at the quad trail. We see no flags and no signs of a trail beyond this t.

It begins to rain, no make that it begins to let buckets of water drop out of the sky. i have a perverse thought that Ontario buddy probably never needed to do the foot dipping 10 mins earlier :smirk: Hail, yep, big and many hailstones start to ping off our bikes and our gear. Some 'ow' moments for sure. Did i mention we have not found the returning trail yet? Yeah, a little hard to search for where the trail went when one is being pounded by hail and deluged by water. i made an executive decision...
i packed my high dollar camera away to keep it dry, i hope. It also means that the rest of this story can not be verified :thinking:

Ontario buddy has a GPS. Alberta buddy has no idea where we are. Me? i know the race loop works its way back but i can not find the trail! We decide to go the GPS route. We have a choice, follow quad trail to right where it appears there is no hook up to anything coming back East. Going left also shows no connections. Seriously? :crazy:
We go left, we hit a logging road and go right. We were once hot, now we are cool and it is still dumping buckets of water on us from Mother Sky.
We are now dripping wet, goggles are useless but i am a bit happy that i have heated grips, they are on max.
Still raining, we come upon a quadders. We ask if they know how to get to Racehorse Creek. The incredulous look on their face is not a good sign. They say to go to x, than y and z will take you right back. We ride away with not much confidence. The good news is that the 'road' we are on as we travel is heading away from the storm. :applause:

We meet more quadders, wash, repeat, rinse. We meet a truck, wash, repeat, rinse. What do we learn? Everyone has a different way to get back. Confidence is zero. Good news!!!!, rain is gone. Ontario buddy comes up with a plan from his GPS. It shows some connectors going East. He also lets us know battery power is waning on the GPS and i remind us that gas is being consumed. Off we go with the GPS. We stop some ways back before what looks like a low lying section that is probably a huge skeg field because the GPS and trail are no longer in sync. Also i verbalize that we are catching up to the storm that is traveling East as well. i am so done with that storm, so, so done.

i make an Executive decision. One of the folks that try to help us had made mention that we were on the Atlas road. Now, i know i have passed the turn off from Highway 3 to the Atlas staging area many times on my way down to Fernie and Kooc. Gas is a concern, this 'pipeline' that will easily take us back just never seems to appear from all the various quadders that try to help so...
i tell the boys we are going to take this Atlas Road to Hwy 3 and from there into Coleman where we can get gas.
As is said, no camera accessible, helmetcam was turned off a long time ago so there is no way to verify the truthfulness to this next part, it may never really have happened and we are already back at camp drinking brews and eating fine bbq.
Really?
Did we?
Here we go. We decide that the best approach to Coleman is by riding inconspicuously in the ditch. i look back and realize how much more visible could we have been doing what we did? Cars and trucks were gawking i am sure at these 3 dirtbikes paralleling hwy 3 :lol:
i make another executive decision that actually being on hwy 3 might make us less conspicuous. We merge in with traffic and continue to Coleman. We arrive and stop at the gas station. We may have strategically took the pump that was concealed by a big trailer. We fill up and now the boys are looking to me the leader on what is next.
Trunk road of course.
i admit, it has been some time that i had driven the trunk road from the Coleman entrance and as i continued toward it on paved roads and communities, i forgot just how far the actual road is from the highway. Maybe it just seemed far because i was on a dirtbike.
We hit the dirt finally and i do feel a tad chilled. The storm as i said was heading East so we are behind it but temps have cooled down considerably and we are tired, hungry and damp. In short, it sucked.
i am leading and i come upon a truck doing 60-70km/hr. Speed limit is 80. My first thought is that the truck belongs to 'The Man'. But i also see a different bumper sticker so i convince myself in my delerious state that the logo on the door is a 'rancher'. i decide to pull out and go around. As i get up beside the truck, i realize it is indeed 'The Man'. i do not actually turn my head and look but my peepers are pretty good (well, except for finding singletrack trails a couple hours ago :excuse: ) and out of the corner of my eye, the logo, the uniform confirm it. i go by him and ude my hand signals to pull in front. i get the bike to 80km/hr and continue. With no mirror i figure i will just wait for a 'sound' before i pull over. No sound happens but my next problem is there is a turn that takes us back to the truck and i know Ontario and Alberta buddy do not know it. i am now working on reasons, excuses, pleadings, etc that may give me a free pass when i know 'The Man' is going to pull up to me at the road i have turned onto and stopped to wait for the buds. i stop, i finally get the nerve to turn and it is not 'The Man' turning onto this road but both buds!!!!
No time to talk so i blast (at speed limit of course) down the road to our trucks 13kms away. When we arrive at the trucks, Alberta buddy said he could not believe i passed 'The Man' and decided he was not being left behind so he passed right after me and Ontario buddy did the same. i guess the pathetic energy i emanated caused a forgiving moment from 'The Man' or maybe he just did not give a crap :D
We are cold, wettish and we still need to gather firewood.
We accomplish the wood run and head to camp where the roaring fire produces many laughs at my expense and i am sure i will never live down my Mantracker incapability.

This story may or may not be completely or in part fabricated....

The End

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
:laughing: Sounds like you guys have the same navigational skills as the guys I ride with.

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pretty much. Where i posted this originally i had to be a bit evasive but the trails are all race courses and the single track is well flagged. But, when ever the singletrack goes to a quad trail as a connector, there are no flags when there is no race. i knew where i was but i could not find that frickin single track back. Turns out that it is the toughest one to find as we were at the furthest section of the race course.
i just never ride truck or quad trails so i really had no idea how to get back.
Turns out we rode 60kms to get back versus 10km if i could have found that pipeline:homer:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Nice report! Look like some beautiful country you got to ride in. Jealous!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts