Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
under advice from other people ive been told these were put on old dodges so here it goes

anybody ever deal with a braden mu8a, hu8a, or eu8a?
i've got a hu8a in my basement that got taken off something....
it is missing the hydraulic motor on it but frankly i don't want to replace it because A i don't want to spend that much to rebuild a winch that might work
B i don't have a hydraulic setup nor do i really want one

so is it easy to convert these to essentially being a Eu8a or a Mu8a
honestly i don't know shit about these besides what i can learn from looking at mine

any thing anybody would be willing to offer up for info would be nice
don't tell me to go to there website and look up PDFs i already did

and finally anybody have a clue what they are worth?

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
Using the parts lists you should be able to determine what parts are different between the two models. Basically the main difference is the drive so it should possible to swap the parts around but it may require a different shaft.

As far as value, it depends on condition as parts for the old Braden winches can be hard to come by. I have a pretty old Braden 8k worm drive winch that was electric. About 12 years ago I tried to get new brushes and some bushings for the electric motor and was told that about the only thing available for my winch was a complete motor and a replacement cable. The motor was over $450, so it's still sitting in the floor of my storage shed, lol. If I use it, I will machine the input shaft to accept a yoke and just PTO it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bringing this thread back from the dead. The Hu8a has moved all the way from the basement to the garage. I have been convinced not to use it as a primary recovery winch because of hydraulic speed. How hard is it to come by the stuff to make my hu8 into a mu8 so I can set it up on a PTO? I have a selection of PTO compatible TC's and friends with the pto parts, but I've only ever seen 1 other Braden winch in my area so I have no clue where to score these parts besides buying everything from paccar.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
You will basically need the parts from a MU8 or custom make them. This will include at least the bearing retainer and input shaft. Also, is speed really an issue? I have been told that my Braden electric worm drive is really slow and when compared to a modern planetary geared winch without a load it is, but when they both have a load on them, my winch keeps a pretty good pace since it only slows down from normal speed when I really work it. So while many people still like to make fun of my 50 year old Braden, I pay no attention since it doesn't pull as many amps under load as their modern winches and I am not participating in a winch race. In my mind, the slower, the better since it is more controlled and safer. Plus I don't even have to worry about the brake giving out on my winch since it doesn't need one and that seems to be a big problem with Warn winches today. So how fast do you really need to winch?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well the first reason I would prefer to PTO is speed. I have personally worked with a lot of guys with milemarkers and all of them have been deathly slow. We use our winches on a regular enough basis that it becomes inconvenient.
On the flip side alot of the guys I wheel with have old willys with Various different PTO winches, and I have never seen them fail. I really like the ability to control my line speed with the transmission.

My second big reason for wanting PTO is I don't have any of the hydraulic parts. I would need to go buy a motor and decent pump, and for the money I will spend doing that I could have a faster PTO winch or a easier WARN.

Normally I am a big WARN fan. especially the 8274 because it is so fast and doesn't have the brake issues associated with all the other non-upright winches. In my life we find ourselves using the winches for alot of non conventional purposes, like winching trees away from houses and out of the woods, but the electric winches don't have the duty cycle to keep up with those tasks.

To be honest, if i wasn't a broke engineering student, I would just save pennies and find a good used 8274, but my life hasn't been convenient enough to find one cheap enough.

I guess what I am looking for is like, what other winches use a compatible drive that I can find that will fit In the Hu8a to make a Mu8a, Or if it is even possible to machine something that can put a yoke in the hydraulic drive. Maybe I could take some sort of bearing mounted in the flange that bolts to the hydraulic drive, and then take a yoke from an old stub shaft or drive shaft and have it machined down to press into the bearing and then machine it for the correct keyed shaft to work in the hydraulic drive. Does that sound possible or not, my mind is a strange place, and sometimes i don't realize how bad of ideas i have sometimes.
Edit: Pillow block like this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200407622_200407622

Another note, if I had a useless mechanical winch on the floor instead of a hydraulic, I could sell it much faster for more.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
Don't compare a Milemarker hydraulic winch to a "normal" hydraulic winch. A real hydraulic winch will go as fast as you want with the right pump and motor and are generally limited to the ideal speed for the winch. It may be possible to spin a mechanical PTO drive faster with transmission and PTO gearing, but it's not good for the winch. Worm drives typically have bronze worm gear and they don't like high speed very much. Remember that pretty much all rollbacks and most modern wreckers use hydraulic winches today mainly because they can use the hydraulics to power multiple systems and there are fewer wearing parts. The Milemarker hydraulic winches are so slow because they rely on the power steering pump to power them. A normal setup will be a lot faster and much more powerful.

As far as the conversion to mechanical PTO, you will need to separate the motor from the winch and see if there is any way to attach a yoke to the input. If there is not, you may as well trash this idea as custom machining a new worm screw will cost you more than what a new winch will, nevermind the cost of the PTO, shafts and controls. If there is enough length for a PTO yoke, then you will have to make sure the hydraulic adaptor plate, which doubles as the bearing retainer, has a seal or can be machined for a seal. The HU8A.MU8A,EU8A Service Manual at the Paccar link I posted above will show you how to remove the motor and adaptor plate, as well as give you an idea of how the E and M versions are made. It's not a big deal, 2 bolts to remove the modular motor, then 4 to remove the adaptor/bearing retainer. The electric version uses a similar setup with a gear reduction box acting as the retainer and then the adaptor is attached to it and then the motor. Again, if there is no way to modify the worm screw input to take a yoke, you may as well sell that HU8 and pick up something else like an older military winch or maybe a Pierce or Tulsa if you can find one cheap. Ramsey mechanical worm drive winches are available also and are very similar to the U8 Bradens but tend to be expensive new and used. In the end, I think you will find that buying a used 8274 will be cheaper than setting up a hydraulic or PTO system. Unless you find a good deal on a used PTO that has the right gearing and load rating to match the winch, they are very expensive new as are hydraulic pumps, reservoirs and lines.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, thanks for the help and not flaming me out of the dodge section. I will either see if i can get the right pump and motor cheap or trade it for cj5 parts.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
You won't get any flaming from me on this topic. It doesn't get much more hardcore than an old Braden wormdrive winch. :D

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
my apologies in advance for the threadjack, but since we're talking braden stuff and elwenil is here...

is a Braden pto unit for a NP201 transfer case worth anything? I'm guessing probably just to the old power wagon guys.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
Yeah, very few people even know a NP201 exists, much less actually run one, lol. There are a lot of the old Sweptline Power Wagons still out there and I'm sure someone would want it so it's worth something, just not as much as what it would be if it were for a NP205 or similar. You could probably sell it on the Power Wagon Advertiser or maybe get a hit on it on RCC. There used to be a few guys on here with the old Sweptlines but I haven't seen any of them in a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts