Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
At least I got some good news lol. It's ok though. We have planned on getting rid of that front since we bought the truck. The front Dana 60's aren't horribly hard to find in my state . I'm sure it will be a pretty penny to switch the gears. Usually when we find them they are 4:10's or 4:56 gears in them. Not sure yet if we are going to keep the 5:13's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Weel the deepest you can go on a 14bff is 5.38 so save money and dont bother going deeper. 5.13 a d 5.38 are so close it wont make a difference.
Glad you said that because I was wondering! I know with the 44" boggers it has a lot of power and torque. Hopefully I don't lose too much with the 49's
If I remember correctly the 49's were either 167 or 176lbs each with out wheel. Can't remember what it said when I looked up the 44" boggers. They are 15x 10 inch wheels on there now I believe.

·
Premium Member
14,262 Posts
Does it have a front driveline? What transfer case? You may be money ahead to change to a driver drop transfer case and a 2005+ ford front dana 60. If you keep your eyes open you may even find a "super 60" with 5.13 gears. A stock 05+ ford 60 is much stronger then a gm 60 and should be 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Does it have a front driveline? What transfer case? You may be money ahead to change to a driver drop transfer case and a 2005+ ford front dana 60. If you keep your eyes open you may even find a "super 60" with 5.13 gears. A stock 05+ ford 60 is much stronger then a gm 60 and should be 1/2 the price.
Sorry, I just noticed your post. It does not have a driveshaft for the front we are going to get one made when the truck is almost done. I'm not sure what transfer case is in it. Is there a spot to look for a part number to figure it out? I do know it's not factory and the shifter for it is on the right ( more towards the passenger side) of the 5 speed shifter.

Right now i know the front diff. Is shimmed up and the driveshaft (if it had one) would line up with the transfer case.
I didn't realize the Ford Dana 60 was stronger than the GM Dana 60. I was under the opposite impression.... apparently I'm wrong!

Here is a link to one of my other threads with some talk about it and some plans.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2684106-broken-top-leaf-spring-lifted-chevy-44-boggers.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I just got thinking.....my front 10 bolt is an 8 lug. Do some 10 bolts come that way, or did someone convert it for some strange reason? Seems like a wasn't of time to me.....maybe I'm wrong and there is a good reason?

·
Premium Member
14,262 Posts
I just got thinking.....my front 10 bolt is an 8 lug. Do some 10 bolts come that way, or did someone convert it for some strange reason? Seems like a wasn't of time to me.....maybe I'm wrong and there is a good reason?

I am not a gm know it all by any means but I belive 8 lug 44 stuff can be put on a 10 bolt. I'm sure someone will chime that knows more then me.

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
Yes 10b came in 8lug.
D44 were as lso available 8lug.

Its to match the rear axles of 3/4t.

Is yore tcase output even on the right side for that 10b? That body style truck would have a d-side tcase. The 10b is a p-side diff

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yes 10b came in 8lug.
D44 were as lso available 8lug.

Its to match the rear axles of 3/4t.

Is yore tcase output even on the right side for that 10b? That body style truck would have a d-side tcase. The 10b is a p-side diff
Yes it is. They actually left the hole there on the driver's side from the stock one. We allready patched the hole, but yeah the new one is on top of the tunnel area all the way to the right now. It looks like everything was ready for the driveshaft for whoever did the work.

We were figuring with the GM Dana 60 it would line up the same as the 10 bolt??
I will get some pics tomorrow of the t-case and shifter.

·
Registered
650 Posts
OK, I missed most of this, but from my quick read-thru, you want to put 49s on the truck and swap to a Dana 60 front? May I suggest a slightly different route?

If it were me and I was sticking 49s on this truck, I'd forgo the Dana and step up to Rockwells. The Rockwells would be stronger, top loader axles will be better for driveshaft angles and they come with deeper 6:72 gears.

Ed

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
OK, I missed most of this, but from my quick read-thru, you want to put 49s on the truck and swap to a Dana 60 front? May I suggest a slightly different route?

If it were me and I was sticking 49s on this truck, I'd forgo the Dana and step up to Rockwells. The Rockwells would be stronger, top loader axles will be better for driveshaft angles and they come with deeper 6:72 gears.

Ed
We were considering it originally, but we figure the truck will also probably be street driven a decent amount and decided against it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I personally don’t recognize it. But the part number should be on this tag.
I will degrease it tomorrow and see what I can find. See where the mount is for it? ... The transfer case is kinda hanging downward towards the ground.
I'm assuming that's not a good thing and we should probably fab. A new mount closer to the rear of the t-case?
Just noticed it when I was under there taking pics.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,554 Posts
Many oem cases are mounted of the adapter. That wouldn’t be my immediate concern.

That might be a 208. Oem 73-87 chev case. (Also what your axle is out of. I have never worked on one)

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
It is a 208. 81-87 ish and yes the front axle probably came fron the same truck.

Some people like them. I think they are garbage. No ball bearings. Only torinton needle bearings. No oil pump. You cant swap inputs like 205 or 241. No twin stick. No real upgrades at all really. But its got the lower range over a 205.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts