Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adjusted my brakes a while back, and it made quite an improvement. However, it seems that when stopped at a light, I have to keep a ton of force on the pedal so it won't roll back wards!

So, I took it to the brake shop. The adjusted all drums, and the problem still exists. His diagnostic was that the booster was just about totally failing!

Is my only option to buy a new one? Is there a fix I can make to this one? Does anybody have a booster they want to sell cheap?

Thanks for your help...again!

Ryan

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Hey Nolen,

How is the supra MC working out? Is it a 15/16" bore? Any difference between the supra and fj80 mc besides cost?

Also, did you have to use a proportioning valve?

Charles

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Charles,

I am not sure if there is any difference, it was the one they had in stock. I was going to use the Rockstomper GM Master conversion, but I was going to have to redo my lines to make it work and I did not have time before Cruces.

Scott Havis uses the Supra, and he said it was better than the Cruiser one I had...don't remember the specs.

I installed a Wildwood prop. valve, but I have not gone to any gravel to work it all out.

Here is a picture of the setup

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
The cheapest fix is to get a pre 90 minitruck booster. About $20 from PickNPull. The rod that attaches to the pedal needs to be cut by about 1/4", just screw the clevis in farther. Make sure you get the one way vacuum valve off the mini too or your engine will run lean.

Dave

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Thanks Nolen. Just thinking about what I might need. How is the pedal feel? It is less sensitive and does it require more pressure to stop with the larger bore?

I'm going to use as much of standard (non metric) brake lines when the axles are installed. I like the idea of being able to go into any auto parts and get the brake lines.

Charles

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
fj40charles said:
Thanks Nolen. Just thinking about what I might need. How is the pedal feel? It is less sensitive and does it require more pressure to stop with the larger bore?

I'm going to use as much of standard (non metric) brake lines when the axles are installed. I like the idea of being able to go into any auto parts and get the brake lines.

Charles
My brake lines are standard, the ends are just metric.

As for the feel.....not like a car by any stretch, but they will lock up on the street which is damn scary with 42's :D

What time do you want to meet today?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, hisses at me. I think I will do the pick and pull part. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I've spent the last hour searching, and just wanna make sure...

1: A mini booster is the right size to fit, diameter-wise, even in an early ('73) tub, next to a clutch master cylinder?

2: The V6's have a dual diaphragm? (same for the 4-runner I'd imagine)

3: Any other relevant info?

LC boosters are $$, and I don't have a core.

The plan is to install the mini booster, and adapt the GM M/C I have to it, which apparently is no big deal. (Could always get rockstomper's plate if all else fails)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eskimo...are you sure that one is done???

As far as the mini boosters...

I don't know much, but I know a friend of mine bought one, without a core for around $80. He said it worked perfectly.

Sorry the booster boke in shipping...that really sucks. I do have this other one, but I really don't want to get rid of it. But, I feel bad. $25 plus half of shipping...and it's yours. I want to keep the MC part though.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
it's cool Robert, it's not your fault. UPS could screw up an airplane's black box... and yeah, the booster is kaput.

We can file a claim through UPS, and I'll get my cash back...

The Toy booster would seem to be a better fit in there anyway, and my junkyard guy has one for $35 he'll give me, so I'm set.

·
Banned
471 Posts
Cruiser Boosters

Hey guys,
I know of a place in Oregon, I believe, that will rebuild your
existing booster. From what I've seen, heard, and installed
one, they work very well. at least as good as stock.
I believe the price is about $125.00 and IIRC that included
shipping. If interested you can PM me or email me.
BTW the rebuilts are going for about $350.00 to $400.00 at least
and that's also with a $250.00 core.

Let me know if I can help.
Kruzrtek
[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.