Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my rear wheel cylinders on my 71 FJ40. The rear axle is actually the front axle from an early Land Cruiser and has the large 1 1/8" cylinders. A couple questions:
- Since I have discs up front, and the large cylinders in the rear tend to lock the rear wheels up, I'd like to change over to the normal 7/8" cylinders normally used on the rear end of 71 - 80 FJ40's. Does anyone know if the backing plates / brake line setups are the same for the front and rear axles making the cylinders interchangeable?
- Since the rear axle is actually the front axle off an early 70's FJ40, what's involved with converting to discs? Is the Monte Carlo procedure the same?
- I suppose if I got a cross reference to the rebuild kit for the 1 1/8" cylinders, I could just use a rebuild kit, and put a proportioning valve in.

Any votes? Suggestions? Insight? Thanks in advance !

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Hmmm. Checked the 'Newbies check in RIGHT HERE' thread at the top o the page: no 'dgrahn' listed. :shaking:

Your thread asks many questions.
Will need a few more details to fully answer.
Tell us a little more about yourself and your rig in the newbie section, especially how you came to have a steering axle on the back of your 40.

People love to help a guy with a good story!

Welcome :flipoff2:

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
texican said:
I'm sitting here wonderig just how long drum brake BF's last on the rear :confused: :confused:
That's just twisted! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheel Cylinders

Four wheel steering.. c'mon guys, I thought everyone was moving to that.
Actually, I'm assuming the pumpkin, and brake hardware were all swapped into the existing rear axle (main reason was to replace RP gears with relatively new one's, and since the fronts don't get used much.....).
Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I would say only the pumpkin was swapped..

Montecarlo swap should be the same. This is not a Full Floating axle is it?

I would either go disk in the rear and get a proportioning valve..

I wonder what happened to your stock unit?

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Thanks for signing in Dave. Sounds like you've got a pretty cool rig. Try and e-mail me a pic and I'll post it for ya.

As far as the wheel cyl thing goes, yes 1 and 1/8 wheel cyl are prolly fronts. Yours are prolly banjo bolted cylinders too. That's why they interchanged to the rear.

If you buy the CCOT 72-80 kit [or anybody's 72-80 for that matter] these are not banjo bolted, but have lines that screw directly into the cylinders. Extra work to set up, but better in the long run [less prone to leaking]

Do NOT try rebuilding-reusing the 1 1/8" cylinders for the rear. They are not adequate to the task, and no one on this board who ever intends to share a trail with you would ever recommend doing anything less than first class brake work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. Why don't you think the 1 1/8" cylinders aren't up to the task? The big problem I have is that they are too strong, since they were designed to handle the majority of the braking load up front (they tend to lock up the rear tires, even though there are discs up front. I appreciate the input though, and it sounds like my best option is to either go with the 7/8" cylinders and redo the lines (convert to eliminate the banjo's), or go with the standard Monte Carlo discs. Any votes which way is easier / better?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are your rears double or single piston cylinders? My 45 had 1 1/8" cyls front and rear when I got it. Rears were double piston and fronts were single piston. Only time I've seen this set up, but it stopped very true. Have since replaced with discs but had no prob with that setup. Anybody know what the dual piston 1 1/8" cylinders orginally came off of?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, a quick check of the FSM tells me that the 1 1/8" dual piston cylinders were stock on the FJ45 P Duh!! Dgrahn, if you're going to toss those old cylinders, I could use the springs and beveled cup supports from them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. I have no idea how / why FJ45 1 1/8" dual piston cylinders were put on my FJ40. Another interesting note is that the backing plates don't have the normal holes through them to retain the drum brake pads. Was that stock on the FJ45's as well?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts