Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have one tons with a Toyota power brake booster, 22RE.

Spongy pedal, and the rears lock up before the fronts (disc brakes on both ends).

Don't know if I have a potential problem or not - but I have the adapter from Sky for a GM master cylinder, and the rear axle is a 14 bolt with a disc conversion.

The front brakes are Wilwood off a Toyota D-60 hybrid setup. I used a mid 80's dodge 60, and took the late model Ford outers off the hybrid axle and had them installed on that axle. So, I've got Wilwood brakes on the front made for a Toy master cylinder and disc brakes on the rear for a larger axle. If I install the larger master cylinder, will it be too much for the front end?

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
get the proper sized MC AND a prop valve and call it a day. you have been here long enough to know that lol

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
do you have 4 piston dynalites in front and iron calibers rear.

issue with dynalites is they flex and give you a spongy pedal and have shitty breaking power when they flex.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Definitely look into a prop valve if they are as biased as you say.

You could be fighting one of two issues for sponginess:
1) What did you do for brakes lines from the master to calipers? I've heard lots of spongy issues related to only using braided lines.
2) How well is your system bled? My system had bad sponginess due to poor bleeding.

My setup in a Toyota FJ55 is using the Sky Manufacturing setup(adapter, recommended master, and 10mm adapters) to push on stock kingpin front calipers and Ford e350 disc calipers in the rear. I don't have a prop valve and it stops nicely with a solid pedal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used an ‘89 V6 mini truck booster and master to lugnut 4x4 3/4 ton disc kits front and rear on my 60/14 bolt and they work great, no proportion valve. I can hold it in double low and it stops great on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up with a GM 1 ton MC and Sky adapter on the Toyota booster. Had to do a bunch of work to the shock hoop for fitment, but all works well. Will install a proportioning valve on the rear line to balance things out. A lot more pedal and stopping power though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts