Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rolled my 88 runner on its passenger side a little while ago. Now everytime I hit the brakes it tries to change lanes to the driver side. The alignment is fine, it tracks straight, and everything seems tight up front. It does ok when on the brakes lightly but when you stomp down it pulls hard and doesnt stop well. I bled the brakes thinking I pulled some air in the lines when I flopped but that didnt solve the problem. Its running ifs calipers with lc discs and has pretty new pads. There doesnt seem to be any funny wear on the pads or discs. I also pushed the pistons in and out on the calipers to see if I could find any binding but no luck. Any Ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
One of the pistons in the calipers has surely failed. I would try that first. how are the rotors, are they still straight?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rotors look straight and feel straight when I brake. There isnt any funny wear marks that would show they are warped.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i'm going to bump this to the top instead of making a new thread.

i have the same problem except i didnt roll my truck. I just took the drivers side caliper off to change an axle seal. the only thing that was done to the caliper itself was, taken off and set upside down on the spring so it would be out of my way. After i was done, i went to drive it and it pulls to the passenger side. the calipers are tight on the knuckle. any ideas?

·
Registered
80 Posts
From what i have seen whichever way it pulls the opposite side has excessive play in the bearing and when it grabs the rotor it needs to straighten the rotor first and meanwhile the other side is clamping just fine causing a pull. I have seen this more than once...

Jeff

·
Registered
85 Posts
if you still have the push pull steering -removing the torque arm or worn bushes turn the brake into a lane change pedal ...

·
Registered
80 Posts
if you still have the push pull steering -removing the torque arm or worn bushes turn the brake into a lane change pedal ...
This is true but, I would hope the alignment tech. would have noticed that. But the most common thing the alignment tech. won't check is the wheel bearings ( just because there is not much money in tightening wheel bearings ) they would rather sell you a steering component for no reason and tighten the bearing when your not looking to fix the actual problem! It's sad but it's true

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
What do the inside of your drums look like? Perhaps you got a bad seal and while the truck was on it's side the shoes took a bath in gear oil... I don't know how bad your pull is but this is definately could cause a pull if it were the case. good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts