Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping ya'll can help shed some light on my brake issues.

So... my brakes appear to be running hot (calipers & rotars)... both sides.

* This is accroding to my thought process... I have not gotten them checked out by a shop or anything.

Here is my setup:
Running a Dana 44 front with disk brakes
2004 Toy Tundra rear with drum brakes
37s
Under a 69 FJ55 and still using the stock MC
Chevy 350

Here is what I "know":

- The rig is new to me

- I dont know if they were running hot before I recently noticed.

- I don't have to pump the brakes at all. It stops fairly well for running 37's and the stock LC MC.

- When I say hot... I mean leave your finger on the rotar and you will get a hell of a burn. Same with the caliper if driven for some time.

- There is no brake smell or smoking. I have been driving it to work... light freeway (after I felt comfortable), stop and go, etc...

- I put it on jacks yesterday. Spun the tire and got roughly a quarter to half rotation from the tire. Backed out the MC piston 4 turns total and got almost a full rotation. Drove it to work today to test it out. Got here... still hot as hell. Now I need to double pump to get the fast breaking power. It still stops well by pressing down on the brakes but a double pump helps to stop fast.

Am I okay or do I have big issues?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a brake novice... can you describe a little for me

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
On my dad's 69 FJ40 we are running a similar setup. Waggy D44 brakes, waggy rear & stock master. Brakes work awesome with no issues at all.

Another FJ40 I worked on had the same problem as yours. It turned out the brake pushrod that goes from the pedal to the master was too long, so there was always a small amount of pressure being applied. As the brakes got hotter, the problem got worse. I shortened the rod & the problem went away.

An easy way to check if the rod length is the problem is to remove it from the pedal. When I removed it, the front tire spun freely. When I put it back on, the tire dragged.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...if I understand it the calipar is the entire mechanism (including the pad) that clamps the rotor. Yes.. they do drag a little.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
elarsen said:
On my dad's 69 FJ40 we are running a similar setup. Waggy D44 brakes, waggy rear & stock master. Brakes work awesome with no issues at all.

Another FJ40 I worked on had the same problem as yours. It turned out the brake pushrod that goes from the pedal to the master was too long, so there was always a small amount of pressure being applied. As the brakes got hotter, the problem got worse. I shortened the rod & the problem went away.

An easy way to check if the rod length is the problem is to remove it from the pedal. When I removed it, the front tire spun freely. When I put it back on, the tire dragged.

Great info… thanks!

I tried something similar with backing out the piston while it was up on jacks. It sounds like your test will tell me the *real* issue… maybe I have some junk in the line that is clogging things up as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts