Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other night at work that my brake lights were on. I went inside and thought the pedal was sticking so i pushed it down and the lights went off. I had parked it in the garage this past week and noticed the lights on again so i did the same thing to turn them off. Ultimately this morning i got to open the back window and it wont roll down. Battery's dead.

1985 Toyota 4runner.

1. Brake lights will come on even after i made sure they are off and pushed the pedal a couple of times.

2. lights will come on intermitently.

Questions:

Is the a micro switch that is connected to the brake pedal? Do these usually go bad?
BTW i searched.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
your brake light switch should be down on the brake peddle. un hook it. see if that fixes the problem. its also spring loaded , so it might have come apart. might be adjustable also

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Look up above the pedal and you'll see the little switch there. It is adjustable. I just did mine. That should solve your problem if that's all it needs.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check it..

For now i just pulled the brake light fuse since i'm going up to yosemite this week for backpacking. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hmmmmm.. I HATE Gremlins. The switch in one of our pickups was just a little gooey and I blew it out with some brake clean. Worked wonders. Might be worth a try. :confused:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dead again

Just got back tonight and my battery (optima) is dead again even after pulling the fuse for the brake lights.:confused:
Whats the best way to check for a short?

·
Registered
589 Posts
With everything off, connect an amp meter between the positive cable and the positive terminal of the battery.

Current drain of 50-100 mA or so is normal, greater indicates a problem. Start pulling fuses to isolate circuit with high current draw. Once you've found that, find out what on that circuit is the problem (a wiring diagram helps).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts