Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
78 F250

engine on - brake pedal won't return all the way

engine off, no boost, brakes are fine, pedal returns...

I Figure it can only be a faulty booster, no?

·
Registered
133 Posts
sounds like you are on the right track. Either pinch off the vacuum line or unhook it and plug it if the pedal releases normally the booster is the problem. I had this happen on an 81 f150 I use to own.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
overkill48 said:
sounds like you are on the right track. Either pinch off the vacuum line or unhook it and plug it if the pedal releases normally the booster is the problem. I had this happen on an 81 f150 I use to own.
He has already done that by pressing the brakes with the motor off.......

Would a stiffer return spring be a cheaper fix?

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny you should mention that Keith, it was by fluke I found that they returned OK with no vaccum. Prior to that, I was assuming it was a weak or broken return spring in the MC.

I s'pose the cheap SOB "fix" would be a stiff extension spring rigged onto the pedal some how...ut that seems a little hokey to me....and I LIKE cheap and hokey!

Normally I'd drive it for years doing the "pull up pedal with toes" thing...but it's going to be my tow rig and something tells me it's unwise to have a hundred little things wrong with your tow rig!

·
Registered
823 Posts
old old!

but did you find a solution? having same problem with a hydroboost....thanks

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed it.

Hard to say exactly what it was.

The booster was definately bad - at least in terms of providing boost.

But was it also the cause of the dragging pedal/ I don;t know for sure, because when i removed the booster for replacement, i took out the whole 78 Ford truck brake pedal and rod cantilever system thingy, and it was all pretty badly corroded up.

I got the distinct feeling that the rusty brake pedal/lever/rod was at least responsable - so maybe check there.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
PIA said:
old old!

but did you find a solution? having same problem with a hydroboost....thanks
Is this a boost unit you just installed? Do you have any brakes or do they get better when you turn the steering wheel?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts