Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a '83 toy. Today as I was driving down the road, the brakes went soft. The pedal would be a little firm going down but would slowly go to the floor. I got home and checked the wheel cylinders, the calipers, the master cylinder, and I followed the lines front to back. I didn't see any leaks. After bleeding the lines just in case, nothing. I'm not sure where I'm loosing pressure. The truck has the stock rear drums and it has the vented rotor conversion up front. It still has the stock master cylinder. Any ideas?

·
Registered
609 Posts
How did you check the master? If you bled it and it didn't get better then it's problably the master. Another thing that that it might be is the proportioning valve mounted to the frame above the axel on the passenger side. THfront pads might not be contacting the rotor with all the surface at the same time due to the rotors being out of parallel, especialy if the pads were recently replaced. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rears had little pressure when I tried to bleed. I pulled the bleeders out and plugged the hole with my finger and there was plenty of pressure. I'm guessing the bleeders are plugged. The calipers, pads and rotors are fairly new but have some wear, nothing unusual. The fronts bled just like they are supposed to. I'm kind of leaning towards the master or the wheel cylinders. Any other thoughts. If I'm going to replace the master, would I be beter off to install one from a v-6 truck for the bigger bore cylinder.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
that would be a master problem:D

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried to pick up the big bore M/C but it was like $170 with the reservoir. I looked at one and my reservoir and Banjo bolt wouldn't crossover. Oh well. got the '83 M/C ands we'll see if it works. I'll have to keep my eyes open at the yards to find a big bore with the reservoir complete.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts