Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've got the axles out of the truck, and as to be expected all the little bolts holding the rear mud guards broke...I'm tempted to just throw the damn things in the trash, but the cautious part of me is screaming no!!

Anyone junk these things in either F/R and live to regret it? Opinions please :grinpimp:

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you drive in mud you're better off without them. Desert conditions etc may be different, dunno.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I dont have them on the front of my truck and have experienced no probs. When I had my RR I had rocks stuck between the shield and the rotor mor than a few times and scratched the crap out of the rotors. I say ditch them.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the front, did you guys cut off the part of the mudshield that has the clip for the brake hose and keep that? Seems like that part of it acts as a shim for the top swivel pin.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Junk 'em all - I haven't run rear shields for years.

Yes, I think you need to "save" certain parts of the front, but the shield part can go.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My rear shields broke loose due to desert washboard driving. I pulled 'em off and have had no issues. Well, okay I have plenty of issues but none that I can honestly relate to pulling those shields off.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
darkstar said:
In the front, did you guys cut off the part of the mudshield that has the clip for the brake hose and keep that? Seems like that part of it acts as a shim for the top swivel pin.
You can retain the portions that hold the brake line and chop the rest off (the vertical piece that engages the mud shield).

Swivel pin shims go below the pin, not on top (silly Deadhead) :shaking:

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey PT thanks for setting this newbie straight :p

How about you meet me at Badlands sometime over the 4th of july weekend? I should be ready to take the disco on its shakedown run by then.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
darkstar said:
Hey PT thanks for setting this newbie straight :p

How about you meet me at Badlands sometime over the 4th of july weekend? I should be ready to take the disco on its shakedown run by then.
It'll have to be Sunday or Monday. Shopboy's band has their first paying gig on Friday and Saturday.

Yee ha, wheeling, tired AND hung over :flipoff2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts