Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a link on how to wire up a bulb as a brake, running light, and turn signal. I understand that the bulb would have to have two filaments.

Im looking for a fundamental wiring techniques (not vehicle specific)as i usually make my own harnesses and wire the vehicle myself.

arndog

·
Premium Member
5,280 Posts
Most vehicles with integral brake/turn use the turn signal switch to tell the bulb wether to be steady or blink. A wire runs from the flasher relay to the turn signal switch and another from the brake light switch to the turn signal switch. With the signals off, the brake power goes straight thru the switch to the bulb. When a signal is actuated the power for that bulb comes from the flasher relay.
Gimme a few minutes, I'll draw one I did a while back with an older signal switch that didn't make the stop/signal decision

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,280 Posts
I got this homebrew setup to work on an old 48 chrysler windsor that I put a painless universal harness in. The signals worked, and the brakes worked, but if you were on the brakes the rear lights wouldn't blink, while the fronts would still blink. I don't remember how painless wired the front lights in, so I left them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
excellent pictures ... save as... so were the diodes necessary? If your on the brakes isn't the signal supposed to work (unsure)

arndog

·
Premium Member
5,280 Posts
The diodes are necessary, cause they keep the electricity from back feeding through the brake wiring and making both lights blink instead of one or the other. Ya, the signal *should* still blink when the brakes are on, but you've gotta have the signal switch that can make that distinction. Maybe someone else know how to do it, but this was the best I could come up with at the time. Now if you have a seperate signal and brake light, like most imports, then there's no problem.

·
Premium Member
5,280 Posts
To whom it may concern...

It just hit me the other day the way I wired that 48 Chrysler. The diode idea was one of the earlier ideas I had, which obviously wasn't perfect because when on the brakes the signals wouldn't flashed. This is what I did end up doing, not sure why I couldn't remember it before. Go to anyplace that sells trailer accessories and get a trailer wiring converter. It's meant for vehicles that have seperate stop and turn bulbs, so that when wired to a 4wire trailer hookup the integrated stop/turn on the trailer will work properly.

This is an example of the converter.
http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_accessories.htm

To wire it for this setup run the left and right signal wires from the turn signal to the converter. Then run the stop light wire from the stop light switch to the converter. Ground the ground wire on the converter. Run the left and right stop/turn signal wires from the converter to their respective bulb. Don't worry about running the tail-light wiring through the converter, just cut those wires off.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts