Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to swap an IFS rear under my 85 for the extra width. The IFS is only the housing and shafts, no brake bits whatsoever. I'd like to stay with drum brakes, since the truck is still driven on the road and I'm too cheap to pony up for the discs with the e-brake. So my question is this. Can I swap the brakes from the stock 85 rear axle over to the new to me 88 rear axle? Thanks

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know, I must be flamed for such a dumb question. I am going to make extensions for the e-brake cables but will be going to my local auto parts store for new brake lines. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Yes, a little measuring with a tape would have told you that. You will need different hard brake lines and e-brake cables!!
You sure about that? I have never tried it but I thought the drums were wider and the center hole was bigger on ifs axles.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was under the impression the rear shaft bearings were the same between the 2? The only thing I though would pose any issues was going to be the bearing retainer mounting holes, I was hoping they were the same spacing apart. The 4 that hold the shaft in and the backing plate on.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
You sure about that? I have never tried it but I thought the drums were wider and the center hole was bigger on ifs axles.
Yes I am sure of it, he is using the whole brake of the narrow axle. As far as the drums having to small a hole, possible but not a life changer, die grinder and a burr to open them up, or if he has access to a lathe, even better!!!:flipoff2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts