Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Im running stock breaks on my 4runner right now. 37s, exo, ... they suck
Would this
Front Vented rotor upgrade be a good upgrade to my brakes or not with it? I have sa hubs and calipers now.
And if i do that can i use this. Rear Disc Brake Brackets
To mount up the old sa caliper and rotors in the rear or is that not worth it? I currently have the stock mc and a single diaphram booster.
Would dual diaphram and 1" mc help me stock or not till i swap disks?
Thanks

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,735 Posts
You do not want a solid mounted caliper on the rear, you want a floating caliper.

Golden State Motorsports makes a nice rear disc set-up and for the front go with the FROR mounts IFS hubs and Tacoma calipers and rotors.

Many write-ups on here, do a search.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which is the best most cost effective way? Im on a pretty tight budget right now. And ive been trying to search but im stuck on my phone.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,735 Posts
Which is the best most cost effective way? Im on a pretty tight budget right now. And ive been trying to search but im stuck on my phone.
I am not going to re-post everything I have already posted and I doubt anyone else will either. Get yourself on a computer and SEARCH!!!:flipoff2:

You do not want to take shortcuts, these are your BRAKES and they need to work, I drive on these roads with my family!!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Wow this thread has a whole lot of no research going on...solid mount disc on a semi float axle arent copastetic. ..if you had a full float axle then you would be fine. Semi float axles move around and you wont have a good break pedal.

To the op. .. go to google or the toyota bible and read for 20 minutes and you will be on your way.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
...furthermore to the OP. If you have a tight budget you do not need rear discs...on a toyota its just a cool guy mod...just buy braided brake lines, Fj rotors, v6 calipers and a 1" bore MC ...you will be doing just fine...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive read threw the faq. idk what is wrong weather it be because everyone says to run a different setup, or what, seems info is mixed and spread up. i have been talking to kdub and his hippie killer thread has helped some after reading threw 36 pages!
when i meant cheapest i didnt mean cheap by taking shortcuts, i mean cheap but done correctly. best bang for your buck. drewp do you know of the years rotors and calipers i want? i keep reading fj rotors and v6 calipers. but my luck i would buy the wrong year.
and is that setup bolt on with sa hubs?
ive also been trying to figure out the fror tacoma set up

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
LC rotors and 4runner calipers are an upgrade.

If you want the ultimate upgrade get the FROR tacoma brake kit so you can run slip over rotors and get Tundra, 4runner sport or GX470 rotors/ calipers. Do a google on 13WL calipers to get an idea.

e.t.a. Its something like 94ish v6 IFS calipers, the LC rotors are 79-89 and those are both compatible with the SA hubs. Apparently you can accomplish the same thing with T100 calipers and rotors. You can tell the calipers by the ribs on the side. I had to clearance the ribs to fit under my wheels.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/caliper/v6-ifs-front-brake-caliper

The tacoma kit requires using IFS hubs.

Here is a link with info on the 4runner sport/ GX brakes which are the biggest I am aware of that would work, they are 338mm and would require 17" wheels.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/118161-how-upgrading-sport-brakes-319-338mm.html

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have 17"trs and a 1.5 spacer so that shouldnt be a problem. i dont have ifs hubs so if i do the fror setup i need everything. but am confused. when im looking up ifs hub i keep seeing just the dial part and i dont thing thats what needs changing?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
29,402 Posts
drewp:26198681 said:
Wow this thread has a whole lot of no research going on...solid mount disc on a semi float axle arent copastetic. ..if you had a full float axle then you would be fine. Semi float axles move around and you wont have a good break pedal.

To the op. .. go to google or the toyota bible and read for 20 minutes and you will be on your way.
What's the word? Word up!

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
...furthermore to the OP. If you have a tight budget you do not need rear discs...on a toyota its just a cool guy mod...just buy braided brake lines, Fj rotors, v6 calipers and a 1" bore MC ...you will be doing just fine...
I disagree. My 4 runner on 36" tires stopped horrible. I would have to watch like a hawk to make sure I didnt have to panic stop. Rear disc brakes made all the difference in the world. It stops great now.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Drums and trails that take you through water crossings = shitty brakes.

Take a Toyota, weld 2k lbs of shit to it, load 1k lbs of shit inside it, put large tires on it, take it down a long steep road and tell me how those drums are doing for ya:eek:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know my brakes suck!
Thats why im teying to figure out the best way to upgrade. What should i do first?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Drums and trails that take you through water crossings = shitty brakes.

Take a Toyota, weld 2k lbs of shit to it, load 1k lbs of shit inside it, put large tires on it, take it down a long steep road and tell me how those drums are doing for ya:eek:
I dont know about water crossings...but drum would suck for that...what I do know is going 45 mph down gravel roads with 40" tires and the brakes where not an issue... ever.

To the OP. No one is talking about ifs hubs but the ifs hub bodies...which holds the wheel bearings...dont worry about that unless you want to delete your wheel spacers or use the FROR kit (which im not familiar with)...all you need is some braided lines from marlin, TG etc... that eliminates hose bulge. Then get early 80's fj60 vented rotors which fit on you solid axle hub body with no issue. Find some calipers off a 89-95 v6 toyota which bolt on. Then find a T100 brake booster with a 89-95 v6 master cylinder. Everything I mentioned bolts on and is super easy...any other way requires a little work/modification...all that is a nice improvement for the front.

For the rear I assume your stuck on disc and want a factory like ebrake....So id suggest finding a complete kit...find a kit that has a floating caliper unless you have a full floating axle setup. I think golden state motor sports has a kit. Sky manufacturing has a kit among many other companies....

I just posted a thread for rear discs yesterday but has no ebrake allowance other than a line lock ( which is cheap and easy)....hope that helps

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im just looking to get some better brakes. I dont have an ebrake now so not extremely worried about it. Im running an ifs rear axle so no not full floating. That setup you described, is that not what is in the link that i posted on my original from davez?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Im just looking to get some better brakes. I dont have an ebrake now so not extremely worried about it. Im running an ifs rear axle so no not full floating. That setup you described, is that not what is in the link that i posted on my original from davez?
The kit you linked is not a floating caliper setup...some people say its good some people say they have pedal pump issues...you would need a residual valve or spmething if that issue occurs. But I dont really know much about that....you can see the thread I just posted where I modified similar brackets to make my own DYI kit with floating calipers and a ski on rotor for the rear.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts