Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may get flamed but I have done searches. I have a 85 4runner with 38.5 sx'x. I am looking to upgrade the brakes. I have a 94 rear v6 axle. I am looking to install Sky's ifs hub adapters. My question is do I spend the money on the ifs calipers and fj rotors or do I spend the money and install disc brakes on the rear. Is there a huge difference in the ifs caliper set up over the stock 85 set up.
Thanks in advance for any advise given.

Rob

·
Registered
140 Posts
Changing the front will give a little better stoping but the main reason for the upgrade
is for vented disk(less fade when hot)
Rear brakes account for about 15% of stoping power.

under heavy braking your rear end will get so lite, the fronts will do most all the work.
I did the vented upgrade and found some improvment. I'd say it was worth it.
I would not waste any Money/Time on the rear brakes, Unless your into the COOL factor!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
i dissagree. the rear disk does make a diffrence, and i would do a disk brake conversion.
but i would do the vented rotor upgrade first, like said above, it make more of a diffrence.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I did the FJ rotor swap, I used Marlin Crawlers rotors and got the calipers from Autozone or AA. I got '94 calipers since they have the greater braking surface. I had interference with these calipers, the easiest way to eliminate was to buy 1" spacers.

Easy bolt on, mostly, conversion.

Al

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 1 1/4 wheel spacers now and want to do the ifs hub swap to widen the stance and remove the wheel spacers. I drive this on the street and serious off road. I was in Moab over Memorial day and had trouble stopping at times. I don't want a wheel falling off at 75 mph. The biggest problem I have with the brakes is the holding power. I have the 15/16 bore mc off a 89 4runner. I have a built 4.3l/4l60/dual 29 spline cases/ 5:29's. It want to move in forward or reverse unless you stand on the brakes in low range. I want to be able to hold the stop possition rather than stop quicker. I understand the ratios of front/rear braking. I am looking to hear from those that have done them and get there opinions.

Thanks again and any info is welcome.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I've done two. One on a TJ and one on an early FJ40. Both times the change was amazing! Stopping power and holding ability increased dramaticly(sp?).

If you have the money DO IT!

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rear disc or larger front calipers??

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok guys, I just got back from the parts store. I compared the 85 pads to the 94 pads and found that they are about 15% longer. Are the calipers that much bigger. They did not have calipers in stock for me to look at.

Who has done this and will it hold the truck that much better??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone? anyone? Beuhler??

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
matzell said:
ok guys, I just got back from the parts store. I compared the 85 pads to the 94 pads and found that they are about 15% longer. Are the calipers that much bigger. They did not have calipers in stock for me to look at.

Who has done this and will it hold the truck that much better??

Thanks
The calipers are quite a bit bigger from '85/89 to 94. At first, I tried grinding down one side of the caliper so it would fit, but I finally stopped and went the spacer way. Easier, doesn't compromise caliper strength and gets the wheels wider anyway.

Good luck.

Al

·
Registered
124 Posts
Albin said:
I did the FJ rotor swap, I used Marlin Crawlers rotors and got the calipers from Autozone or AA. I got '94 calipers since they have the greater braking surface. I had interference with these calipers, the easiest way to eliminate was to buy 1" spacers.

Easy bolt on, mostly, conversion.

Al
What backspacing do you have on your rims? In your case would different backspacing have made any difference?

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ttt

·
Registered
751 Posts
yes

yes the back spaceing makes all the diffrence!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts