Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a Painless 10102 harness in a 1971 Jeepster. It has no provision for a brake warning light. I have a 1992 jeep YJ master cylinder and combination valve.
This is how I believe the brake warning light works.
Power is supplied from fuse block when Ign switch is on.
Power flows through warning light on dash then through switch on valve. It then goes to the E-brake switch and the ignition switch.
The light comes on when 1)The switch in the valve actuates, thus grounding the circuit. 2)The E-brake is applied, thus grounding the circuit. 3)The circuit is momentarily grounded when the Ign switch is in crank position (apparently a self-test feature?).
Is this correct? Should there be 12V power at one of the wires connecting to the combo valve when the Ign is on? Also the light should be on while cranking? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
just went through 1/2doz manuals for misc crap I have owned over the years
yes power comes from a switched source at the fuse block
goes through the ind light and the light gets grounded by either the combo valve or ebrake switch
they were not wired for any sort of a self test when key on engine off

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am going to eliminate the test feature, as I am using a generic rotary Ign switch. I would have to run a relay to provide ground during crank, but all power to various circuits seems to be cut when the key is in crank position. So screw it, I can test it with the e-brake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts