Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my new dual diaphram booster and MC in the other day and installed it this am. I have SS lines with AN fittings so it was a bitch getting it booty fabbed in with the fittings I could find locally.

I was stoked by the thought of being able to stop my jeep. Guess what?

SURPRISE SURPRISE the fawker is no better at stopping than before. :mad3:

1. do I need a certain amount of vacuum?

2. could I have an air bubble?

3. Do I need the adjustable proportioning valve?

4. They dont bleed well,,,I got soft streams of fluid and no air out and the passenger caliper doesn't seem to have much pressure at all.

I have 4 wheel disk by Wilwood running on 40" rubbers.

what I had

What I installed

proportioning valve

·
Registered
83 Posts
As long as u have the line hooked to manifold.vacuum u.should be good. Even if u dont have the.booster plumbed up u should have a good hard pedal and slide all four wheels. Did u bench bleed the master?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does the pedal feel like. Give us some more info
It feels very stiff. It does pump up some. The feel of the pedal is different when the motor starts. It really never pumped up like brakes usually do it just started very stiff and hard and stayed that way. They bleed weird. Like when you open the bleeder valve it never really shoots just kind or runs out like liquid soap from the bottle. I never saw any air and the passenger caliper has less pressure than all the others. It does stop the jeep but no better.... maybe worse than before.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It can work but the easiest is pressure bleed it. Start at the master first. Have some crack the lines loose at then push the brake pedal to the floor and hold it while someone tightens the lines. Repeat then try pumping it up and holding it while the lines are cracked. After the master start at the.passengers rear and do the same procedure. Order should be master first, pass rear, drivers rear, pass front drivers front. I bet u still have air. Hows the.pedal now?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As long as u have the line hooked to manifold.vacuum u.should be good. Even if u dont have the.booster plumbed up u should have a good hard pedal and slide all four wheels. Did u bench bleed the master?
No I just bolted it up started pumping and I never really added much fluid but I didn't change any lines so I didn't expect it to take much fluid!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It can work but the easiest is pressure bleed it. Start at the master first. Have some crack the lines loose at then push the brake pedal to the floor and hold it while someone tightens the lines. Repeat then try pumping it up and holding it while the lines are cracked. After the master start at the.passengers rear and do the same procedure. Order should be master first, pass rear, drivers rear, pass front drivers front. I bet u still have air. Hows the.pedal now?

I did it clompletly ass backwards. I started at the closest and worked my way farther away? Ill try that. How do you bleed the master?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Need two people. one in the jeep and one to crack the lines on the master. Crack the lines first and have some push the pedal to the floor and hold it while u tighten the lines up. Repeat this a few times. Make sure they dont let up on the pedal with the lines loose it wil suck air in. After a few times pump it up then crack the lines till the pedal goes down and tighten lines at the mc while pedal is down. After that start at farthest wheel from mc and work your way.forward. Just because u dont see air the.first few times keep doing it. When u didnt bench bleed the master you pushed air in the lines. The.reason u have no pressure is ur compressing air not fluid

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok this am I will go out and pull the MC off and try to bench bleed the thing MC. I believe the MC maybe already be bleed cuz I just pushed fluid into the lines but I will start over :mad3:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There must be a leak in the system. I can't get anything accept a stiff pedal. I ordered the proper an fitting today. It appears everything should be sealed maybe it isn't. Thanks for the help. What a PITA. THANKS EVERYONE

·
Registered
326 Posts
Im usually by myself so I always just gravity bleed my junk. Just crack all four bleeders and take the MC lid off. Just let it run out and dont let the MC go dry. It may take a few minutes for it to get started, but it will start flowing pretty good after a few minutes. You dont pump the brakes or anything, it wil just syphon the fluid out of the MC. I usually run about two full MC fulls of fluid through and then top it off and its good. Just make sure there are no air bubbles coming out in the fluid to be sure.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Keep us posted on this, as I'm going to swap in an auto soon and plan on having to upgrade my MC and booster. Did you use the '95 YJ dual diaphragm booster and a corvette MC? Let us know if your brakes get better, too!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts