Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a Samurai with 85 Toy axles, 85 Toy bosster and master cylinder, and wilwood compensation valve. (Stock valve removed)

But if I strongly apply brakes, rear weels lock up and front never locks.

Even with compensating valve setted at minimun pressure to the rear.

What shuold it be? Do you have similar problems?

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
During extreme stops; if you have massive weight transfer, I doubt there is much you can do.
Your front brakes do 80% of the stopping, more than likely the front brakes are inadequate for the tires (size) that you have. To improve the fronts, change rotors and pads to a high performance type.
A real flexy suspension makes the rear brakes null and void, because there is no contact pressure.
I have the same problem with my setup.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Also if your drums are warped at all out of round it will cause the rears to lockup. had same problem on an 85 blazer once drove me nuts. As soon as I had the drums cut no more problem.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SilverZuk said:
During extreme stops; if you have massive weight transfer, I doubt there is much you can do.
Your front brakes do 80% of the stopping, more than likely the front brakes are inadequate for the tires (size) that you have. To improve the fronts, change rotors and pads to a high performance type.
A real flexy suspension makes the rear brakes null and void, because there is no contact pressure.
I have the same problem with my setup.
How much did you cut, 20%, 50%?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And how if I use the Level sensitive valve that PU carry on the chassis?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
GBRAVO said:

How much did you cut, 20%, 50%?
just takem to a local brake shop and have them checked for run out. if there still in spec but out of round theyll just true them up dont know what the % would be

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Manual Proportioning valve

I had the same problem. A flexy susspension and short wheel base do that. Do all the proper maintenance on your brakes, as suggested earlier in this thread, like have your front brakes in good order, as well as your drumes turned. If you still lockem up, get the manual proportioning valve. U can dial just the right amount of pressure going to your rear. It solves your pron=blem and it's also handy in a variaty of other situations.
But I must stress, do all the maintenance first, because you may have other issues, as mentioned above, that you will conceal with the manual valve. You don't want theat.

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
GBRAVO said:

and wilwood compensation valve.

Even with compensating valve setted at minimun pressure to the rear.

he stated he has the proportioning valve, but is this:

"(Stock valve removed)"

usually done by you guys that have done different brake swaps?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts