Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of rebuilding my front axle and just had new brass bushings pressed into the spindles. Now the birfields won't slide into them, they are too tight. The old ones were worn and slid right over. Before the the new bushings were pressed in they slid over the birfield easily. Any advice? :confused:

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
This is normal, they need to be reamed out to size after bushing have been replaced.

Take your stub axle housings and your axles to a machine shop and they can ream them out to the proper size for you.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Likely the ID of the bushing collapsed a bit with the press fit. Try wrapping some fine emery cloth around a dowel and try lightly sanding the ID of the bushing to open it up slightly. Probably won't take much to get a good fit, be sure and check the fit frequently. Might also hit the OD of the birf. to remove any burrs and ridges on it.

I do the same thing with the locating studs on the steering arms to fit inside the knuckle bearings (sand/file the OD of the stud for a snug fit).

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NOODLES said:
bet you wish you sized them before installing them now huh?
They fit perfect before they were installed.

Thanks for all they replies, I was a little worried before. I will get a dowel and some sand paper and get them to fit. That was my original idea, but I wasn't sure if they had to be PERFECT.

BTW, I just made your inner axle seal driver, OOP's, worked great. :beer: What do you use to drive in the wheel bearing seal?

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
wv4runner said:
What do you use to drive in the wheel bearing seal?

flat piece of wood...

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Looks like it's front axle day!

BTW, if you do use the hone, be careful as the bushing is pretty soft and you could quickly take off too much material.

Doc

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fawk! :mad3:

I was sanding out the bushing with fine emery cloth, going slow and checking. It was getting close and starting to slide in, but the back was still tight. When I was sanding out the back more, the front got to big. Now it slides on half way, with too much play already. :mad3:

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
wv4runner said:
Fawk! :mad3:

I was sanding out the bushing with fine emery cloth, going slow and checking. It was getting close and starting to slide in, but the back was still tight. When I was sanding out the back more, the front got to big. Now it slides on half way, with too much play already. :mad3:
That is why I suggested the brake cylinder hone, now go get one!!!! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OOP'S said:
That is why I suggested the brake cylinder hone, now go get one!!!! :grinpimp:
Ya, I tried to save a few bucks and will probably end up dropping another $30 on a new bushing.

Advance Auto or Napa have them?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, I had the bushing replaced again and took my birfs to my friend at the dealer and had them fit them. They pressed the birfs into the spindles, they don't move by hand. He said this is correct and it should be a tight fit, I'm assuming they will loosen up a bit after driving it?

My only concern is installing the birfs and spindles as one peice. Is this going to be a problem?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts