Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I could get brass/bronze syncros for a nv4500?

Has anyone done this and did it work well?

I just can't help thinking about the last 50 plus years of proven brass.

But then again it may not work - just asking

I forgot to add - I have two Carbon fiber syncros in the kitchen for 3rd gear. Brass with carbon fiber surface area on inside I.D. The carbon fiber may wear slower but I can change the brass out when needed and it doesn't suddenly go out.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it shift ok with the brass?

I just don't like the idea of syncros that will go out with no notice. Less than 1500 miles on my nv4500 with the correct oil and I have no 3rd gear syncro and it happened instantly. The man that built it (and I have total confidence in his skills - he's a master for sure) said no problem he'd warranty it, but I think I'll just do it myself. I've probably built about 10 manual trans and never had any problems with brass - never did a nv4500. It may have been a manufacturing defect.

I think I'd rather have brass particles floating in the oil than carbon fiber that is supposed to be harder than brass.

To change all the syncros, is there anything else I need to buy? I read somewhere that to change the 3rd gear (and I think 1st and 2nd) there is a needle/cage bearing that as to be removed and removing it will ruin it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.