Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new set of rockcrawlers (should be here tommorow) to replace my :rainbow: red swirlies :flipoff2: Only problem is I don't have the key to my locking lugnuts (one on each tire). So am I going to have to hammer on a smaller socket to break off the lug nuts? Does this ruin the socket? If so does that mean I'm gonna need 4 of the same size socket (one for each locking lug)? Thanks :smokin:



-Andrew :grinpimp:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
forum95 said:
I just picked up a new set of rockcrawlers (should be here tommorow) to replace my :rainbow: red swirlies :flipoff2: Only problem is I don't have the key to my locking lugnuts (one on each tire). So am I going to have to hammer on a smaller socket to break off the lug nuts? Does this ruin the socket? If so does that mean I'm gonna need 4 of the same size socket (one for each locking lug)? Thanks :smokin:



-Andrew :grinpimp:
i was in the same situation, lost the key to my wheel locks and had to work on the front end. so i took a grinder, grinded down two sides, to get a good grip with some vice grips, and then they came off. took about 10-15 minutes per wheel. shows that if somebody is gonna steal them its gonna take them awhile. or go the more expensive way and discount tire does it for $5 bucks a tire :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,558 Posts
Depending on the locking lug nut, you can buy a replacement key for a couple bucks. If it's factory, go to the factory. If it's aftermarket, just go to a car place and find the right one. Beleive it or not, there normally aren't that many styles out there.

Phil
 

·
thhhpptthh!
Joined
·
46,718 Posts
grab a nut, weld it to the fawker, and airratchet the beotch off.

if you decide to use a socket, yes you will most likely break it. for sure if its not an impact socket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,267 Posts
Real easy way, I just did this. I got a impact socket, hammered it on, removed nut, then tapped nut out of socket and used it on the others, did not hurt the socket & it was a hell of a lot easier then the welder:D
 

·
thhhpptthh!
Joined
·
46,718 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
Real easy way, I just did this. I got a impact socket, hammered it on, removed nut, then tapped nut out of socket and used it on the others, did not hurt the socket & it was a hell of a lot easier then the welder:D
I've broken more impacts this way, than any other.

pound one on and its not a tight enough fit, finally get it back off cuz it was just spinning on there, and grab on size smaller. Whack it on there and VIOLA, split right down the side.

these work DAMN good too

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
If you're good with a cutting torch it isn't that hard to torch the nut off and leave teh stud alone, but my prefered method is the welding the nut on teh end.

Justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
go down to the tire shop and it will be done while you go get lunch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,429 Posts
ChristianBenzon1 said:
go down to the tire shop and it will be done while you go get lunch

i second this, go there they find one real close then pound it on with a hammer and then more than likely it will come off, my friend had to do this, then you just tip the guy and he's happy too. :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,462 Posts
sceep said:
I've broken more impacts this way, than any other.

pound one on and its not a tight enough fit, finally get it back off cuz it was just spinning on there, and grab on size smaller. Whack it on there and VIOLA, split right down the side.
That's why you use a standard socket, not an impact. It has more give than an impact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if I wanted to try hammering on the smaller socket, would I just hammer on the smallest socket i can get on there and it splits? or Am I gonna have to hammer it on and torque it hard till it splits?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,670 Posts
In the time it took you to type that I could have popped a weld on it and not have to ash my cigarette.

Just find a welder, a big nut and zap it. Takes like 20 seconds dude
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,267 Posts
like I said, I did it with a impact socket very fast no damage, I didn't have to drag out a welder, & protect the aluminum rims from slag, very fast very easy, use whatever methode you want
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
HAHA, Back in the day I used to work for discount tire, (Americas tire here in cali) We would use what SCEEP has shown us all in the pic, except our sets were blue point...

I used to break off locking lugs all day by pounding a socket on to the lug, then after it has come off tap the side of the socket with a hammer while it is laying in the ground. It is really simple, if you cant do it I am sure any tire shop can do it.....

Good luck, MAtt :smokin:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top