Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Quick question, my dads buddy has a Bridgeport j head mill with r8 collet, in his sign shop that no one there has a clue to to run.

Right now it has a collet stuck in the head. It is my understanding that all I need to do is loosen the drawbar and the collet should come out. Is this the case or do I need to remove the nose peice and losen something else also? Do I just need to give the drawbar a couple of smacks with a hammer to loosen the collet?

Sorry this is a total newb Bridgeport question, and I know someone on here will know.

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Loosen the drawbar a couple of turns, then tap the drawbar with a plastic hammer. The collet should loosen, then unscrew the drawbar while holding a hand under the collet until it drops out.

Roger

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
You'll get an answer here, but try posting in the Shop and Tools section.

Shop and Tools - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Might be faster.
Loosen draw bar a few turns give it a smack collet should come free loosen drawbar rest of the way
Loosen the drawbar a couple of turns, then tap the drawbar with a plastic hammer. The collet should loosen, then unscrew the drawbar while holding a hand under the collet until it drops out.

Roger
Apparently I was wrong. :laughing:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect thanks guys, I thought that was what I needed to do. I just didn't want to hit it if there was another bolt holding it in.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
I welded a socket to the base of a cheap ass plastic tipped hammer so I have both tools right there. losen, flip tool and whack.

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts
Even better, I bought a Craftsman double box end wrench in 3/4" and 7/8", which are the sizes for the drawbar, and 1/2" T nut sets, then drilled and tapped the wrench for a little brass puck. Use the puck to smack drawbar.

·
D-FENS
2,387 Posts
better yet :smokin:

Dan De Vinci is a buddy of mine.... he has one of those little palm impact guns mounted on a bracket up above it. just hit the paddle and it zips it off and on.

works slick!
One shop I worked in had a mill with a pneumatic drawbar that worked off two buttons placed within easy reach. I've been spoiled ever since.

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts
Pneumatic drawbars are something else. A butterfly impact is all most of them are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts