Pirate 4x4 banner

1521 - 1540 of 1913 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,521
hammers was awesome, truck wheeled great and was pretty set up for being slightly fast in the desert, but still needs some adjusting front and rear. this has been the first trip where i could really see what was going on with the suspension, talked to TacoRunner down there for a while and i have some ideas to make it better.

broke the ears on my stock short side inner shaft on sledgehammer. when it let loose it wasnt super loud so i kept driving another 20ft to get out of the bad spot. ended up partially destroying my chromo outer, longfield ujoint caps are busted up, hub dial got blown out from the stub shaft pushing through it, and a few other smaller things were mangled. not a big deal but its kinda a bummer it ended up slightly damaging a lot of other stuff. i really don't have money right now to fix it so its gonna have some down time while i replace and upgrade.

didnt get to many pics or footage of the trip, like always.. was in the heat of the moment. ill get some clips up later. no really good shots, but some of its better than nothing

my buddies ran some other trails earlier in the week but i took my truck up outer limits, sledge, chocolate thunder, and back door.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
fuck warn hubs. i was just up in town last night/today and picked up my box of shattered warns. got to get them sent off to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
fuck warn hubs. i was just up in town last night/today and picked up my box of shattered warns. got to get them sent off to be fixed.
Yeah I never had much luck with Warn hubs. You just going to get them warrantied then sell em? I've got some 35 spliners and will run them until they break.

Nice pics Matt! Sucks about the axle shaft. Time to throw some RCV's in there?? :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
I wish I could have gone with you guys, but I was shock tuning the whole week I was there. Never once got out to play. Even after I figured out my fuel issue. But thanks for posting the pictures, sure makes me jealous.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
awesome talking with you brian, it pretty much made me decide to tear into everything now. ive never in my life had so much fucking fun doing a recovery or a repair on the trail. billy and pat pretty much made for the most entertaining winch fest of my life, it was awesome.

other than that, i take full responsibly for breaking matts short side. i drove it up the trail 100ft earlier in the day and im sure just me touching it created the break without doubt haha.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,528
i agree with the warn hub being weak. but thats not what caused the problem. if anything i really wish thats what let loose first, then i wouldnt have this expensive issue to fix (hard to tell in the fix but one of the chromo ears it bent in pretty good, might be able to put it in a press).

im the kind of guy that if it breaks once im gonna fix the problem, so i dont even really wanna put it back together how it was.

if i fixed the problem.. how much could i sell a pair of stock inners with 10 factory outers, long ujoint, and warn hubs?

id love rcvs but dont think i could afford them, that would just pu me back in the hole that im almost out of.

i might just have to run chromo inners, outers, joints, and yukon hubs

brian did you leave early friday? towards the end of the day i took my truck solo over to your camp because i was hoping we could test a few things but you were gone and i didn't see your tent anymore?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,529
ya pat and billy are the funniest guys on the face of this plannet. they need a tv show.

and ohhh yea i forgot about callen driving my truck 100ft before it broke. i came down the hill cuz i was waiting on some people up the trail and i see him driving...

yelled at him to get out, not cuz someones driving my truck... cuz its fuckin callen. the master of breaking shit that shouldn't break.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I got a bunch of footage of you wheeling sledge, quality is a little less than you are probably looking for but some interesting angles nontheless haha.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
I'm shocked that you broke that instead of the hub. 2 of my buddies went from stock 30 spline stubs and spicer hubs to 35 spline stubs and warn hubs. That combo was MUCH weaker then the stock stuff. I think between the 2 of them they went through 5-6 hub gears in one trip to moon rocks:laughing:

If I ever do a 60 I want to make a pair of dummy slugs that have the centers bored out so the stub shaft doesn't engage it, but is still held in by the outer clip, that way I can pop out the drive slugs and then still be able to put the dust cover back on. I only unlock my hubs to drive on pavement anyway.

Trip looks like fun, 395 is beautiful. Next time you are on it, try to do the June lake loop (literally does a loop to the west off 395 and back)

·
1,875 Posts
If I ever do a 60 I want to make a pair of dummy slugs that have the centers bored out so the stub shaft doesn't engage it, but is still held in by the outer clip, that way I can pop out the drive slugs and then still be able to put the dust cover back on. I only unlock my hubs to drive on pavement anyway.
Most every drive slug made now allows you to bolt the dust cover on with no slug in there. Still more hassle than a lockout, probably why i've never pulled mine or stepped up to the new yukon lockouts.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i seriously have no idea why you guys run them, i got them with all my shit from trevor when i went 35 spline. and sold them to a friend for 20 dollars. went drive flanges before they broke!

ya pat and billy are the funniest guys on the face of this plannet. they need a tv show.
i couldnt agree more. i dont know what hammers would be without them.

I got a bunch of footage of you wheeling sledge, quality is a little less than you are probably looking for but some interesting angles nontheless haha.
haha i wanna see that video. "IM GETTING VIDEO OF HIS FOOT FLOORING IT!!"

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,538 (Edited)
before i even went on the trip i actually caught that my ears were slightly stretched on the inner shaft that broke. i was already concerned about it and asked all my buddies what i should do about it. the idea was either run it like it is for the trip and hope for the best. (they were barely stretched), or weld the longfield caps to the ears.

i decided to test my luck thinking i was gonna be fine, i didnt wanna destroy the caps on my lonfield joint... now that this happened i have to replace a lot more than just my caps. wish i would have just welded the caps to the axle... but you live and learn.

and pat i dont know how you would get me some footage but i bet its an epic shit show.

and about the june lake loop. that would be cool i havent done that since i was a little kid.

·
W6FTW
3,818 Posts
Matt, I saw your rig on the lakebed on Friday morning. The cage looks bitching!!

Btw that tcase I got from you still works great thanks again

1521 - 1540 of 1913 Posts