Pirate 4x4 banner

1861 - 1880 of 1913 Posts

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Damn 20 psi!

I usually run 3 psi in the rear and 4-5 in the front haha. Why such high PSI out west?
Because he does not "crawl." Most rigs on the trail cannot keep up with him and many driver's won't push hard enough to. I popped a kevlar on my first trip from a rock scrape and have another that became fubar'd somehow. I now run mine at 20 psi and so far so good and the extra psi does not slow me down on the trail. Matt said on another forum that he is popping tires after hitting something hard. His truck is heavy and I'm of the opinion that the tires are getting pinched. More psi will help with that. Time will tell

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
and no callen i dont really have any pics of the weekend. seriously only pulled out my phone a few times to take pics of other people but that's it. there were a ton of people at fordyce, it was a great time. glad to see everyone out wheeling and having fun!

and i have already warrantied a complete set of kevlars. the tires drive and wheel great but they are not tough enough.

this is all :/

I always find it funny when reading various threads on pirate or marlin and randomly seeing a picture of me in it, I miss my beard of shame :laughing: always liked this truck.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey Matt I was wondering if you had any issues running the heims on your tie rod and drag link in single shear. I have been reading up on it and have heard mixed reviews about it. Im getting ready to put heims on mine and I was just wondering if you have had any issues or have any advice with them.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I'm not a Toyota guy myself although I have nothing against them but I wanted to say that I just spent about 5 hours (with taking a few phone calls at work and watching the attached videos) reading every page of your build start to finish and was blown away at the attention to detail and craftsmanship you put into this thing! I am also incredibly jealous of the terrain you have available to wheel on over here on the other coast its almost impossible to find any real places to get off the pavement and the places that are available you have to pay to use because its all private land.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,868
Hey Matt I was wondering if you had any issues running the heims on your tie rod and drag link in single shear. I have been reading up on it and have heard mixed reviews about it. Im getting ready to put heims on mine and I was just wondering if you have had any issues or have any advice with them.
never had any issued with single shear. its been a while but i think they are 7/8" grade 8 bolt. no way in hell that would ever break. if it does...thats the least of your worries. haha my only take on heims is that it doesn't take long for them to get sloppy and make noise. i always keep everything lubed up on my truck. even if its just something like wd40. it helps keep stuff from wearing out as quickly, and i hate squeaks. all of my steering heims are about due for replacement. not cuz they are weak but they make a ton of noise!! super annoying on rough roads. but i wouldn't run anything else, heims are the way to go if your concerned about strength. plus if you did have a trail issue they are a lot easier to repair than a tierod end.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,869
I'm not a Toyota guy myself although I have nothing against them but I wanted to say that I just spent about 5 hours (with taking a few phone calls at work and watching the attached videos) reading every page of your build start to finish and was blown away at the attention to detail and craftsmanship you put into this thing! I am also incredibly jealous of the terrain you have available to wheel on over here on the other coast its almost impossible to find any real places to get off the pavement and the places that are available you have to pay to use because its all private land.
thanks man, i appreciate it :D:beer:

·
Registered
56 Posts
shock shims

Thanks for posting the crawlpedia link; it demystified coilovers. Was curious what shim stack you ended up using? Flutter? Diameter and thickness of shims? Also, would you change the spring rates front or rear?

Thx man!

1861 - 1880 of 1913 Posts