Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on Pirate for close to 10 years. Started before I could even drive, I am 23 now.

Got this YJ in Highschool, made more than my fair share of hack fixes and dumb mistakes. This thread will be me fixing my past mistakes by mostly redoing the entire jeep.

Started off stock, 1990 YJ Aspen edition. (I need to try to dig up some old pictures have never seen this anywhere so maybe it was a dealer custom model? Maybe someone on here will know. Said Aspen below the jeep logo in front of the door and had a little Aspen badge with a skier on the tail gate)

Went through most YJ stages went from 2.5 to 4.0, SUA to SOA, ditched the 35 for a 8.8. Now I'm working on superduty tons, aw4, a lotta strech and 40s.

Im going to have to bring this thread up to speed since I'm half way along with this build. Excuse the Instagram photos but that's the only place I still have old photos where you can see the Aspen package I was talking about. When I first got it, it needed floors and typical new england rust repair.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the title should of said Broke Kid's but maybe I'm illiterate as well

Few years after I ran around 33s and spring under, I swaped the 8.8 went spring over and 35s.

Shitty built armor and thorn turds.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished up trade school, lunch box locked it front and rear, drilled out a YJ box and went hydro assist and drove it, and wheeled it like that for about a year.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice platform to start from. Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Thanks, it's all been a learn in progress obviously never done much of this type of work till I started getting serious with this thing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After I got it running good, and was happy the way it wheeled, I got a good deal on a set of 04 super duty tons and decided sure why wouldnt I want to look at it on Jack stands for a year or two?

I started renting a garage with a couple buddys and got to work.

Cut the back half of the frame off and got a Artec Kit.

( I know 05+ are better but I spent 100 bucks on both axles and the 60 was already trussed. )

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I jump around quite a bit based on how the wallets feeling.

Put a shift kit in the AW4. Found out I needed a shorter input shaft for my np231, so naturally I just cut mine. Brown dog motor mount lifts allowed me to tuck everything up to get the flat belly I wanted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure how far back I pushed the rear axle. Currently I believe I'm around 120" of wheel base. I set up my buckets/measured and tested links with PVC with my measurements in a calculator I believe my anti squat was around 88 and I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to register kn the bling scale, I've always wanted one of these hood vents.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apprently tapa talk only allows so many photos a month if you're on the free version. What do you guys use to upload photos?

I got about 100 more to post

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can I get a mod to fix the title? I couldnt figure out how to edit it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tapa talk has a free VIP trial

I cut the front of the frame off and filled it with two tubes of DOM.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Set up my front Links/radius arms. Maybe only run one side radius arm to try to help with the binding i will probably have.

Going to go hydro assist again because this jeep does see the occasional road now and again, I didnt feel entirely comfortable running full hydro on the street. I used a JK box that I will eventually drill for hydro. Left blinker was sacrificed for mounting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my hands on a bender and notcher. (Bender belongs to my Jeep club but it's currently at my shop)

Made a cross member to support the grill/lower portion of the rad. And also made my front shock hoops.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And to completely bring this up to speed, picked up some 40s last weekend and finished up my bullbar.

Getting the tires really kinda gave me a kick in the ass to start working on it again, then this virus bullshit started.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I remember how much I loved those rectangle Head lights when they came out. Great looking rig. Enjoy!

Sent from my LG-V35ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I remember how much I loved those rectangle Head lights when they came out. Great looking rig. Enjoy!

Sent from my LG-V35ThinQ using Tapatalk
I originally was going to try to pull off a cj7 front clip but the square lights have grown on me, and atleast around where I'm at not many build these anymore.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts