Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I originally was going to try to pull off a cj7 front clip but the square lights have grown on me, and atleast around where I'm at not many build these anymore.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Nope, all ya see is round. I mean all the aftermarket is for those. When they came out, it was so modern looking... Now it's so retro looking!

Sent from my LG-V35ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Nope, all ya see is round. I mean all the aftermarket is for those. When they came out, it was so modern looking... Now it's so retro looking!

Sent from my LG-V35ThinQ using Tapatalk
Yeah squares are there to stay.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Wheels in Monson, Thornbirds :shaking::flipoff2:

Looking good. When we linked my old one, we had issues with the uppers getting into contact with the radiator. Make sure you pay attention to that at full bump (also had a full frame).

My old one at 111" You may have seen it at Monson. I sold it and got into racing bro-lites there, but that's pretty much dead.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wheels in Monson, Thornbirds :shaking::flipoff2:

Looking good. When we linked my old one, we had issues with the uppers getting into contact with the radiator. Make sure you pay attention to that at full bump.

My old one at 111" You may have seen it at Monson. I sold it and got into racing bro-lites there, but that's pretty much dead.
Jeep definatly looks familiar. Yeah my Club does "Go topless day" there every year in May. Probably going to be canceled now because of this BS.

Yeah that's why I ended up moved the rad up and mounting it on those two crossmemebers because the passenger side was touching the bottom rad tank. Where I'm at now and were I'm going to do my bump stops I should have plenty of room.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
A friend and I picked up these cheesy no name bucket seats I'm going to attempt to tie into the frame.

The tub at this point is just for show its beat, doors are hard to close. And I dont really trust it anymore for seat or seat belt mounting so I'm going to tie everything into the cage/frame.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Doesnt look like I showed my departure angle. I maybe shouldnt of made this thing so long being in new england

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am also trying to figure out a way to tie the grill hoop into the shock hoops I'm worried if I ever hit something head on the whole bull bar/grill hoop will fold back into the grill.

But I also want to keep my headlights but the only thing i see possible right now it to go right through the lights.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
For for the seat tie ins I am thinking:

A pillar to B pillar.
Across B to B
Then across the tub over the front of the tranny tunnel before the dip into the foot area

That should give me a good base to try to start to get the seats right I think?

Rear seats will stay the same for the most part, I havent had anyone back there for the most part and have been thinking about removing it and pushing the fuel cell closer to the front seats.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Nice work so far.

Why are you putting all this effort into the build, and then running radius arms?

Three linking it would be pretty straightforward, and you'd eliminate the binding that you'll have otherwise.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Nice work so far.

Why are you putting all this effort into the build, and then running radius arms?

Three linking it would be pretty straightforward, and you'd eliminate the binding that you'll have otherwise.
I knew I would get asked this eventually. Honestly it was an easy way out I guess. And this being the first time I've gone this far with fab i wasnt entirely sure how to accomplish the 3 link. Like I said I may remove one upper link and see if that helps if binding is an issue.

If I still have problems the front lowers are the same length as my rears and I will just add a 3rd link and chop the mounts off in the future.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Currently working on A pillar to shock hoop tube. It will be flanged and bolted at the cage so I can remove my cage down the road. For the passenger side I had to remove the heater box for clearance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Should be trading some parts tonight for some half doors

·
Registered
469 Posts
Cool project! On the front your lower links for the radius arms are backwards. Heim goes on the frame end bushing goes on the axle end. You need the bushings on the axle end to allow a little give to let it articulate.

If you can make it fit I would highly recommend ditching the radius arms and doing a 3 link in the front. Just take the 2 heims you already have there and make one more control arm. If you do this, then I think you should leave the bushing on the frame end.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Cool project! On the front your lower links for the radius arms are backwards. Heim goes on the frame end bushing goes on the axle end. You need the bushings on the axle end to allow a little give to let it articulate.

If you can make it fit I would highly recommend ditching the radius arms and doing a 3 link in the front. Just take the 2 heims you already have there and make one more control arm. If you do this, then I think you should leave the bushing on the frame end.
Well that's gona bone me lol every where I looked I saw bushing at the frame heim at the axle. Maybe I will just 3 link it and cut the mounts off the lowers.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Thanks man. Progress may be slow during this corona virus BS, a lotta places are shutting down or not shipping.
You don't know what slow is. Check the date on my projects first post.

I knew I would get asked this eventually. Honestly it was an easy way out I guess. And this being the first time I've gone this far with fab i wasnt entirely sure how to accomplish the 3 link. Like I said I may remove one upper link and see if that helps if binding is an issue.

If I still have problems the front lowers are the same length as my rears and I will just add a 3rd link and chop the mounts off in the future.
On your radius arms, you might consider a "pinable" link that converts your radius arms to a three link. I did it on my project. Take a look at post #49 and on.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2017234-amphibious-hemtt-2.html

It works good. You will like the radius arms on road and sometimes off road. I really like the duel use. The only thing that would be nice is to have it controlled from the cab. So you could consider that in your design.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You don't know what slow is. Check the date on my projects first post.

On your radius arms, you might consider a "pinable" link that converts your radius arms to a three link. I did it on my project. Take a look at post #49 and on.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2017234-amphibious-hemtt-2.html

It works good. You will like the radius arms on road and sometimes off road. I really like the duel use. The only thing that would be nice is to have it controlled from the cab. So you could consider that in your design.
Now that's a cool build. Just took a quick look in my lunch break will have to dive deeper tonight when I'm home that is a good idea.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts