Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So a put a 8.8 together for a customer. 4.88s and a Spartan Lunchbox.

Apprently anything over 4.56s the ring gear will not allow the pin to come out of the carrier to install the c clips. So according to the all knowing internet and a friend that runs a offroad shop you have two options grinding the pin or grinding the ring. I ground down the ring a little did not enjoy that at all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Need to order a set of shocks to see how it will flex, these are just tacked on I think the angle may be too extreme. If it is I think I'm just going to weld some tabs onto the C pillar tie in and just run smaller shocks straight up and down.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just threw these in there for a little mock up, hopefully getting some DOM this weekend if the place is still open with all this virus shutdown crap.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Got seat bases tied into the cage today. Got to make some brackets to bolt the tracks too the tube next.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Going to need to do some research about harness bars/mounting. The lower A to B pillar bars interfered with the seat belts so I removed then, guess I need harnesses now.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
No I havent and this totally helps. This was something I was looking for. Most of the stuff I found online was for cars and not offroad applications. Thank you.

One thing I see in that drawing that is not explained well. (Or wrong) The shoulder straps are fine if they go up from you shoulder, but should not go down. The reason is in a forward crash, the strap will try to collapse your spine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
One thing I see in that drawing that is not explained well. (Or wrong) The shoulder straps are fine if they go up from you shoulder, but should not go down. The reason is in a forward crash, the strap will try to collapse your spine.
So the diagram direct from the manufacturer is wrong, because of something you heard ? That diagram is correct, Schroth makes the same recommendation in their documentation. The spine damage is from having an angle greater than the 10° ( or 20° according to Schroth ).
https://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Competition_Instructions.pdf

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
So the diagram direct from the manufacturer is wrong, because of something you heard ? That diagram is correct, Schroth makes the same recommendation in their documentation. The spine damage is from having an angle greater than the 10° ( or 20° according to Schroth ).
https://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Competition_Instructions.pdf
So a manufacturer can't be wrong? 10 degrees down from your shoulder is wrong. This is not something I've heard. I researched it for aviation. It's not hard to understand why.

·
Registered
238 Posts
So a manufacturer can't be wrong? 10 degrees down from your shoulder is wrong. This is not something I've heard. I researched it for aviation. It's not hard to understand why.
Well, it would have to be pretty much all of the manufacturers of automotive racing harnesses. I would imagine the seating and restraint parameters for aviation are slightly different than that of automobiles. I agree that 0° is probably a good target.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Between 0-10* downward is the acceptable range, with a slight downward cant being ideal. In a front-end collision where the shoulder belts are most used, you lean forward, which will naturally lower your shoulder height. Most of us have soft tissue (muscle, fat) above our clavicles, so that slight compression is fine. Beyond 10* is where they believe it's too low and the stretching of the belts makes you want to break your spine. I personally don't know this, since I've always mounted to recommendations, but those guys at SFI and FIA do.

Every single sanctioning body and SFI or FIA belt manufacturer uses these recommendations. When I did tech inspections, straps outside of the 0-10* rule were failed, including above.

OP: here are other images of a 5 point installation for reference.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
While I can understand why being too low is a problem, I don't understand at all why being too high is a problem. I guess they think you need it if you roll over . Seems like the lap belt would solve that. On my 4 vehicals, they all come from above. I realize they arnt racing cars (one is a Vette), I find it strange why the auto makers would do it wrong.

Anyways, highjack over.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Street cars are a totally different bowl of wax. They have a huge range of body types and seating positions to accommodate, I could see why they would err on the high side. There have been OEM's with adjustable height shoulder belts, but they can't count on the average driver setting them, let alone correctly. There's also the intended usage, the likelihood and speed of an accident on the street is theoretically much less than racing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Now you guys see my confusion. As I've said a few times, this is my first time for this level of work, so when I go online and read 20 different ways to do things, and some say "well this will kill you if you fuck it up" I get a little nervous!

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Now you guys see my confusion. As I've said a few times, this is my first time for this level of work, so when I go online and read 20 different ways to do things, and some say "well this will kill you if you fuck it up" I get a little nervous!

0 to 10° on the shoulder belts and tou will not die. Anything more than 10° and your gonna die and take a busload of nuns out in the process. Don't be that guy.

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Got some tabs, installed seats, now just thinking about how to do a console

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Working on those A pillar to shock hoop tubes that I mocked up earlier.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts